Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd May 2016, 09:39 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Anthony Coulls

So what's their argument for not having steam? Trevithick Day could not be Trevithick Day without celebrating the machine that owes its origin to Cap'n Dick.
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:35 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Josh Menear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Hackworth Jr View Post
So what's their argument for not having steam? Trevithick Day could not be Trevithick Day without celebrating the machine that owes its origin to Cap'n Dick.
Most of the people who run the event arent overly interested in steam and see it as more of a problem than a centrepoint as we do. There is only a very small minority that want the steam to stay. This is just my observations of the situation to make that clear. If i am wrong i am happy to be told otherwise. My personal opinion is that Trevithick Day would not be Trevithick Day without a lineup of steam and i think it would go downhill very rapidly if the steam side were to go, their loss. However, they cannot stop engines going through and around the town at other times, can't see there ever being no steam at all in Camborne on the last Saturday in April.

Cheers, Josh.
  #23  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:38 PM
Engineer

Full Name: James Beynon

Theres nothing stopping someone doing a trevithick day show just outside the town if they so want to get rid of it, there certainly seems to be enough interest for engine owners to bring the engines each year.
  #24  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd May 2016, 06:47 AM
Engineer

Full Name: john scandrett

[QUOTE=00000;362374]Seems to have pulled it to the end though. BTW are you sure you're in the right thread?

Jim, perhaps you did not see the picture of a dismantled 771 earlier on this thread plus Seb's request for photos before it was dismantled. 771 didn't get to the end of the track and it didn't get far enough for the weights to be pulled to the top of the sled.
From memory it was running on reduced boiler pressure at that time.
771 wasn't out for much longer after this rally so I haven't got any later photos that I can find.
  #25  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:21 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Wilkinson

Yes OK.
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:26 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Wilkinson

[QUOTE=41767;362443]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00000 View Post
Seems to have pulled it to the end though. BTW are you sure you're in the right thread?

Jim, perhaps you did not see the picture of a dismantled 771 earlier on this thread plus Seb's request for photos before it was dismantled. 771 didn't get to the end of the track and it didn't get far enough for the weights to be pulled to the top of the sled.
771 wasn't out for much longer after this rally so I haven't got any later photos that I can find.
Oh I see now! Didnt connect the photo with the boiler that was here. Well when she's back home there have another go & I bet she'll pull it with no worries!
  #27  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd May 2016, 08:27 PM
Admin / Mod

Full Name: David Collidge

[QUOTE=41767;362443]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00000 View Post
Thanks for posting the picture of 771 John, I was trying to find one but I couldn't.

Completed March 1903 for W.A. McLaren in New Zealand, the engine was supplied with segment & worm steering. Cylinders are 8" / 12 ¾, working pressure 160 psi, firebox 3' 6" x 2' 10 ¾" wide, 41 5' 5" long, 2" diameter tubes.

I posted a picture a while back of a similar but later rack steer engine, 956 called 'Nil Desperandum' which worked for Allen Knight (Boilers) Ltd in Huddersfield:

Earle Warwick owner of sister 957 gave me some information about 956 and also 955 which is preserved in NZ, they were fitted with slightly smaller 7" and 11" cylinders but a higher working pressure of 200psi. All engines have the copper exhaust pipe going into the top of the smokebox next to chimney base.

Serious bits of kit I don't doubt!