Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2016, 07:22 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bill Starling
Default Bardwell Windmill Threshing Day

This is a lovely, relaxed, one day event in aid of the Wheeler family's windmill. The star, naturally, being 'Oliver', the wheeler family's 1920 Ruston & Hornsby agricultural engine.

[IMG][/IMG]

It was powering a well preserved Marshall drum which had spent its working life on a large Norfolk estate, plus a Ransomes baler. One of the visitors was a gentleman from Chile, in England in connection with some work being done on the boiler of one of his Ransomes engines. Amazingly, some descendents of the Ransomes family also decided to call in. Surprised delight all round!

Mechanical visitors included the Webb families 1912 Burrell Showman's tractor 'Peter Pan'

Also Bressingham Musuem's 1924 Garrett tractor 'Bunty', complete with it's support vehicle.

A delightful 4 ins scale threshing drum was also at work, powered by a Ruston & Proctor engine.

For those who, like me, would always be happy to meet people who contribute to TT, I'm pleased to say it was Shiremog's, so - with his permission

There was also an apparently freelance miniature.

This was also working for its living, powering a baler.

It was of local interest as the smoke box door and maker's plate proclaimed it was made by P J Lancaster of Diss, Norfolk. The present owner has been unable to trace its history. Does it ring any bells with you?

It's quite off topic, but I thought this lovely, period, hand cranked roundabout deserved a picture.

Finally, to remind you what the day was all about.

Thanks, Jonathan and family.
Bill.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2016, 09:20 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jonathan Wheeler

Thanks Bill for your post and kind comments.
Thank you to all those who helped with the event and thank you to all those who supported it. It is a real pleasure to share such a day with every one who came and these pictures with those who couldn't make it. It's an excuse to put Oliver to work in its natural role but it would not happen without the efforts of so many friends and family to whom I am very grateful

The bonus is the windmill has gained nearly £5000 every penny of which will be spent securing its future

Personally I am blooming knackered after the weekend but looking forward to leaving for Dorset shortly. Oliver running on steel wheels has given my knees jip! Steel wheels are great for the photographers and historians but painful punishment to the engine and drivers if you want to get from a to b!

Cheers Jonathan