Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th May 2018, 09:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger White
Default Large tractor to shunt engines about

I am looking for a large tractor along the lines of a Ford 8xxx or TW to move/load engines. Does anyone have anything or any advice?

Thanks

Roger

07952 386 837
roger.white@naturalimpacts.com
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th May 2018, 05:04 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Buy a rough terrain forklift, telehandler or a manitou, or something similar. Much handler and you have a crane, a bucket.....

Of if engines are big, find a NH TM190, nice heavy tractor.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th May 2018, 06:35 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Donal o callaghan

Buy a mobile compressor that's what I use alot cheaper and safer than a push poll Jack kniffing when loading
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th May 2018, 07:33 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Marriott

TW 15 ford extracted lowloader with ploughers at marcle and a severn trent artic with boring rig on. will pull anything, not fast but easy to fix and bomb proof. and will easily tow low loader too. all mechanical so little electrics to go wrong and goingup in value. far heavier than a tm ford too.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th May 2018, 08:09 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy bee View Post
Buy a rough terrain forklift, telehandler or a manitou, or something similar. Much handler and you have a crane, a bucket.....

Of if engines are big, find a NH TM190, nice heavy tractor.
If I had the money Id go for a all terrain fork truck with a telescopic boom too. Sort the jaw our properly and you can hold the pushpole up with the tilt lever.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th May 2018, 08:55 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmiller78 View Post
TW 15 ford extracted lowloader with ploughers at marcle and a severn trent artic with boring rig on. will pull anything, not fast but easy to fix and bomb proof. and will easily tow low loader too. all mechanical so little electrics to go wrong and goingup in value. far heavier than a tm ford too.
The TM190 is a far bigger more powerful tractor than the TW15, your right about the TWs going I up in value as far as machinery ever does, but the TM is a better tractor for pushing/pulling heavy things, I know from experience in a boat yard.

Bit of googling proves this in figures:

TM 190 weighs 14782 to 17470 pounds

TW 15 weighs 11355 to 16680 pounds

TM190 are the heavier tractor and lift far more on the links

TW 15 7,150 lbs
TM 190 17,085 lbs
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th May 2018, 09:23 PM
Engineer

Quote:
The TM190 is a far bigger more powerful tractor than the TW15, your right about the TWs going I up in value as far as machinery ever does, but the TM is a better tractor for pushing/pulling heavy things, I know from experience in a boat yard.

Bit of googling proves this in figures:

TM 190 weighs 14782 to 17470 pounds

TW 15 weighs 11355 to 16680 pounds

TM190 are the heavier tractor and lift far more on the links

TW 15 7,150 lbs
TM 190 17,085 lbs
don't believe all you read there's such things as ballast and weights, ours is over 9 ton on a weigh bridge, the weights on the inside of the wheels are 485 kg plus water in the tyres and a ton on the front. as for pulling and pushing never moved a boat but moved plenty of other things, TM 190s are prone to braking the gearboxs. the 65s are the biggest you want to buy as theyre the same back end in all of the 150 plus and they won't take the power. TWs can also be opened up easily...but ours is about 150... don't need an more....
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th May 2018, 10:44 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmiller78 View Post
don't believe all you read there's such things as ballast and weights, ours is over 9 ton on a weigh bridge, the weights on the inside of the wheels are 485 kg plus water in the tyres and a ton on the front. as for pulling and pushing never moved a boat but moved plenty of other things, TM 190s are prone to braking the gearboxs. the 65s are the biggest you want to buy as theyre the same back end in all of the 150 plus and they won't take the power. TWs can also be opened up easily...but ours is about 150... don't need an more....
Yes you can weight up any tractor, including a TM. The base tractor however starts off heavier that was my point.

We have used TM 190's in anger lots of times with no problems, must depend who is using them.

I'd stick to the TM190.

In all honesty though, most engines will be shunted by a telehandler as per my original post, so this TW TM discussion is not really relevant here.
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th May 2018, 12:04 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Yes you can weight up any tractor, including a TM. The base tractor however starts off heavier that was my point.

We have used TM 190's in anger lots of times with no problems, must depend who is using them.

I'd stick to the TM190.

In all honesty though, most engines will be shunted by a telehandler as per my original post, so this TW TM discussion is not really relevant here.
we've both depends on what you want to move and where, telehandler has crab and 4 wheel steer but hasn't the poke that the tw has its also rubbish on the road and gets hot when you flog it, it has a pick up hitch but not really up to moving its self far let alone towing much. it'll pick up 3 ton and boom out 7 meters.
The tw will pull any thing (you can easily brake stuff) but with practice i can back a four wheel trailer/ engine / drum onto our low loader in one go... its also handy on the road and at other jobs... if we had a concreted yard and a lorry i'd manage wth the telehandler, but tbh for shunting the tractor is heavier therefor better.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th May 2018, 12:38 PM
Engineer

Or just buy a Fendt 1050 and be done with it.