Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2016, 07:59 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Carl Byrne

Great to see Onward in the playpen pulling the charity trailer.

Cheers Carl.
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2016, 08:23 AM
Engineer

Full Name: john sawle

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamy1 View Post
Top marks to Mr D and his team I think.
We are all in their debt. Mike Dreelan, Richard Parkinson and David Hearst have given the road steam movement something of lasting historic value.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2016, 12:53 PM
Engineer

Full Name: J. Lea

It would have been nice if Arthur Wedgwood and other old experienced Foden hands had still been around to see this achievement with the Speed 6 & 12 wagons, Arthur used to say they were well ahead of their time.
From what I have been told the first straight type boiler used was not a success, it had an insufficient reserve of steam with speeds of over 20 mph or if poor coal was used. When wagons were fitted with the second type boiler this made them into a very free economical steamer.
Barry Funnell mentions about 13652 belonging to The Star Brewery of Eastbourne Sussex, this wagon was sent out with the early straight type boiler but was back at Fodens to have the later type boiler fitted in the first 12 months , this wagon had a working life of 20 years. Barry mentions that even up to the end of it's life she was still topping over 55 mph on the homeward run across Pevensey Marsh driven by a very capable driver.

It would be an interesting project if a E type Foden undertype could be recreated from quantity of E type drawings that have survived from Fodens.
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2016, 06:37 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Royal Enfield

Went on Friday, no pics but had a great time. Although not for the purist perhaps but I did like the ploughing engine converted to diesel with a massive 6 cyl engine balanced on the top of the barrel where the cylinder chest would have been.
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2016, 07:11 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Piers

Had a great few days spending time with some very dear friends, and catching up with folk whom I haven't seen for the best part of a year. Even made a couple of new ones.

I'm aware that it's cool not to like Dorset, but for me it's just a rattling good social occasion with some working steam thrown in.

What's not to like..?

#16  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th August 2016, 10:28 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Terry Fairbrother

Day 4 and quite a few people have left as there's gaps in blue 2. I suspect they are off to honiton hill. I'm in the stationary engine section so only been to the play pen once. There's an under lying opinion that it's lost it's sparkle. Dr busker on Friday was moderately attended with people drifting in and out of the tent. He lost teacher and JR this year so it wasn't as bouncy as previous years.

Public attendance is up, lots of youngsters this year who are genuinely interested in the exhibits.

Weather has been strange with very hot to very rainy. Its quite cool and showery at the moment.

I will be being relieved later so get to have a walk around. Wouldn't mind someone allowing me a go on a minture to see what its like to drive one before I build one!

Terry
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th August 2016, 10:33 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Stanley

We went yesterday and thought what an excellent show it was.
Some superb engines and displays and as always plenty of new things to see.

Well done to the organisers and exhibitors.

Jim
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th August 2016, 11:18 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Kev Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransomes AM54 View Post
Had a great few days spending time with some very dear friends, and catching up with folk whom I haven't seen for the best part of a year. Even made a couple of new ones.

I'm aware that it's cool not to like Dorset, but for me it's just a rattling good social occasion with some working steam thrown in.

What's not to like..?

You're right, for all the downsides it's a hellava social occasion!

Has anyone got a photo of Chris Lawson's big Marshall, very well done to him it's been a big project.
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th August 2016, 05:54 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andy Smith

Didn't manage to make it for a number of reasons��. Looks to be some great new exhibits though.

Did anybody get any photos of Turbos 6" Burrell with riveted boiler?
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th August 2016, 06:17 PM
Engineer

Full Name: mark vine

Me and the present Mrs Vine have just got back, a cracking show, met up with good friends and enjoyed the new exibits, and attractions.
We have not returned since 2013 when we were invited to attend with our roller, it was so good we thought it could not be bettered, but with the many upgrades, such as roads, and a new layout, which made for an interesting walk around, Dorset never fails to provide maximum enjoyment.
Well done Martin and his team.

Mark.