Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd October 2017, 03:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Stephen Meredith
Default Midlands Model engineers show 2017

Not a bad show, but possibly my last time of going after more than 20+ years.

Honestly - decline of proper model engineering (in my opinion), things being packed up 2 hours before the end of the show.

50% reduction in exhibited display models both inside and out.
I realise the weather wasn't kind for a 4 day show, for the first 3 days.

I took only a few pictures, this caught my eye.

Not moaning just the signs of the times I guess.
Also my dad passing earlier this year I attended the show with him from the age of about 12 when it was at Bingley Hall
before the big fire.

Steve.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd October 2017, 05:37 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Nick Hall

IMHO Alexandra palace has gone the same way.
Nothing against the shows, it's just that the time's they are a changing
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd October 2017, 07:54 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael James

I visited the show on Thursday (the first day) and arrived at about 11:30 am. The weather was horrible - very heavy rain although it stopped later but it remained very dull. I noted the car park had more cars in it than I had ever seen before with an area being used where normally no cars are parked.

Once inside I was amazed at the number of people; it was absolutely packed. Walking along the isles was very difficult as people were looking at models and buying things from trade stands. The organisers must be doing something right for it to attract the visitors it did - on the first day at least. I watched many people buy tools, equipment, materials and parts for locos and traction engines so in my opinion the "traditional" aspect of the hobby still has a good following. I thought it was a good show with plenty to see - and lots of things to spend money on.

Perhaps the hobby is changing, there is one old fella at my club who has been building a 3" Foden for the last 40 years...!!! Perhaps the hobby of model engineering needs to change in order to survive.

Purely by chance I grabbed a bargain at the show. Just as I was leaving I noticed two unmachined 3" Foden rear wheel castings for sale on a stand. I seem to have Reeves prices for Foden castings etched into my memory - their price for two rear wheel castings is a little over £200. With this in mind I asked the price for this pair... it was £30 for the two wheels! I will keep my eyes open for other parts and in the future change mine to a six wheeler!

Michael
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th October 2017, 03:14 PM
Engineer

Default Still not winging

Perhaps going on the last day was a mistake then.

As said the ethos of the show is changing with more new technology
3D printing, CNC routers, auto machines, the basics of off hand machining is a skill in decline I feel.

I heard a few members of the public saying that just moving a few stall about can create a new feel to a show rather
than every trader in the same spot year after year. I guess also, because my engine is almost finished the urge to buy
some new tooling has reduced.

Well done on getting a bargain on the wheel castings!!

Hope to see some pics of the build on here soon.

will be going to the International model boat show in a few weeks also at Warwick hope this will be as good as I remember by the past.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th October 2017, 03:30 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown

The world of engineering has changed hugely over the last few decades, and are not most model engineers drawn from the ranks of engineers?

You also have perhaps an increase in people with the disposable income to just buy things done or part done and fettle a little who have little engineering ability.

No wonder the world of Model Engineering is changing. It's just a mirror on the real world I guess
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th October 2017, 10:08 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Nick Hall

In the world of model engineering the hobby has come a long way in the last 20 years
with machines being imported and scaled down in size and price a lot of people have their own little workshops now
also, with so many engineering company's closing their doors old good equipment has become affordable (to some)

Shows now are either where you can browse and buy materials and tools as the local shops are now long gone
or the opportunity to meet old friends,
either way, next time look at the faces of those attending, there aren't that many young ones any more.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th October 2017, 11:59 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael PARTRIDGE

Was the lack of any photos from The Fosse a reflexion on a poor exhibition. I.E. Not really a lot worth photographing.?? and Yes, this aging situation is now becoming quite disturbing , very few ''youngsters'' taking up the hobby , probably due to Elf And Safety not letting the little darlings near lathes and milling machines at school. Most schools nowadays seemed to have got rid of their metalwork and woodwork facilities, plus most of em are now stuck with their faces in their I-Phones and tablets and are totally unaware of what's going on around them. Our club has over 200 members, but you can count on one hand those under 30 years of age.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th October 2017, 08:58 AM
Engineer

Basically yes. I'm a member of Warley MRC the young members are hidden away under the stairs in another room unit they calm down or hit 40. Then if there still members they are introduced to the main club, maybe. ��
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th October 2017, 11:09 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Robert David Powell
Default Do not knock the fellow who takes 40 years !

I have one engine that has, so far,taken me 37 years. In the meantime I have designed and built a 2" scale steam wagon,and a 4 3/4" gauge railway loco, rebuilt and/ or completed about half a dozen other others for myself and done a lot of repairs for friends. This week, for virtually the first time ever, I turned down a request to build a boiler for a fellow. I just want to have fun completing and playing with MY projects. Hopefully I will have my 2" Greenly/ Minnie engine finished before I have owned the cylinder casting ( which was a gift from a friend). What a lot of stories that engine encompasses, ( eg the steel boiler welded by a friend, now long gone, who learned his skills in jail after discovering bank robbery was not his career). Regards David Powell