Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th February 2024, 09:46 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Vincent
Default Great Central Railway ‘Road and Rail Steam’

The Great Central Railway, Leicestershire’s award-winning heritage line is bringing together the best of steam power on the 20th and 21st April with locomotives and road steam vehicles for their re-launched Road and Rail Steam weekend.

Working demonstrations are planned for the weekend to include wood sawing, threshing and road rolling, along with a road run into the village of Quorn and Woodhouse on Saturday afternoon, around 16.00.

There will be real ale on sale and a chance to see steam locomotives posed alongside the road machines. It is also planned to have on static display, recently bowed out of service BR 9F 92214 for footplate visits and MK1 test car 2 35386 for guided tours.

The railway’s heritage trains will be running all weekend with two steam, one diesel and the added attraction of a diesel hauled freight train on both days.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd March 2024, 12:44 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson
Default Quorn Easter 2024

We went last year on the Saturday. (https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk...rollers603.htm)
It was a very enjoyable day out and the road run around the village was very photogenic.
However, as others had told me, space in the the Goods Yard is at a premium and in the middle of the day getting a good view of the exhibits was not easy. I find it hard to imagine how "wood sawing, threshing and road rolling" could be added to the mix, maybe part of the car park on the other side of the railway will be used?
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 2nd March 2024, 07:53 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by International Steam View Post
We went last year on the Saturday. (https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk...rollers603.htm)
It was a very enjoyable day out and the road run around the village was very photogenic.
However, as others had told me, space in the the Goods Yard is at a premium and in the middle of the day getting a good view of the exhibits was not easy. I find it hard to imagine how "wood sawing, threshing and road rolling" could be added to the mix, maybe part of the car park on the other side of the railway will be used?

This event is Road Steam engines only in the yard which will allow for more space for working demonstrations.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th March 2024, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Full Name: Russ Bulley

I agree it was a great mix of road and rail.

Russ