Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th July 2010, 11:05 AM
Engineer

Full Name: .

its in the local paper today that 20 gypsies caravans have pulled onto land at york on the way to pickering.i guess that tells you what sort of show it is
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th July 2010, 01:49 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Harris

Re Pickering Gypies,
If you bothered to do your homework first.
You would see that their is over a mile of autojumble which has been at pickering all the years I have been attending.
So what if their are a few gypies their.
I have never heard of anyone complaining about them they pay to sell their goods their
the same as other traders.
  #23  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th July 2010, 10:27 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: karl butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2 View Post
its in the local paper today that 20 gypsies caravans have pulled onto land at york on the way to pickering.i guess that tells you what sort of show it is
I guess its a steam rally Woody,thats what it says on the tin .The story I read today in the York Press quoted the travelers as saying some were going to Pickering some down south. I dont see the point you are trying to make,nearly every steam rally I have done in the last 10yrs has had travellers in or around it,
  #24  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st July 2010, 01:14 AM
Engineer

Full Name: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamsec View Post
I guess its a steam rally Woody,thats what it says on the tin .The story I read today in the York Press quoted the travelers as saying some were going to Pickering some down south. I dont see the point you are trying to make,nearly every steam rally I have done in the last 10yrs has had travellers in or around it,
well its not the sort of show i want to take my children toPickering on the Saturday used to great but if i want bother i will go into town not a steam fair
  #25  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st July 2010, 09:12 AM
Oily Rag

Full Name: Trevor Langthorne

I will not be put off going to this event with my grandchildren there is good and bad among all comunities we are going with our caravan as we did last year but notice the new management state in the booking rules of the camping area NO VANS PICK-UP TRUCKS OR CARAVANS OVER 22FT if they inforce this rule it could cause problems with travellers who only have vans & pick ups this rule applies at Dorset Steam Fair every year and does work.
Any way lets hope for good weather and a good time for everyone
Trevor
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st July 2010, 05:20 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: karl butler

Just been on site today,all looking good. The bridge is much better this year and in a better location. The new campsite looks good,should be more space and less congestion now you dont have to go down the narrow Haygates Lane. The most important part of the infastructure is in place,the bars . Just need some good weather and everyone will have a good 4 days.
  #27  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st August 2010, 09:01 PM
Engineer

Full Name: mike m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamhead21 View Post
I have never heard of anyone complaining about them they pay to sell their goods their
the same as other traders.
Where have you been the last few years? I have heard numerous complaints over the last few eyars about gypises getting on site and causing havoc. Not neccesarily the ones selling, but they are certainyl about casuing mischief.
  #28  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th August 2010, 10:18 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Ian Hardy

An observation from Pickering..

From an enthusiasts point of view probably the worst display especially remembering those of my childhood - when it was a traction engine rally. The showmans engine line has gone, instead they are scattered around with the modern and vintagae fairground rides and attractions mixed. The new arena is pointless, a fenced loop, nice.. Less entrants which given the goings on last year was of no surprise.

After visiting on thursday morning a return was put in place, with inlaws for the evening event last night, and can say the comments made above by woody and mikem were justified, the travelling youth certainly made their mark, kids as young as ten with pints of lager and gangs of teenagers drunk out of their heads make for a fantastic family evening out...

Ian
  #29  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th August 2010, 12:32 PM
Engineer

Full Name: NIGEL BINKS

Sounds like a classy event
  #30  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th August 2010, 01:34 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dan Brothwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody2 View Post
well its not the sort of show i want to take my children toPickering on the Saturday used to great but if i want bother i will go into town not a steam fair
Will you be visiting Dorset?