Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:38 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob S
Default Rally Calendar Discussion

Seeing a thread on here about changes to rally venues, I thought I’d throw in one about rally dates. I’ll state at the start that I don’t organise any rally, I’m aware of the huge amount of work that involves, and I much appreciate those who devote their time to it – whether voluntary or commercially. This is just a topic for discussion;

The rally calendar follows pretty much the same routine each year. This means that the same rallies often clash, others always fall in school term time (Dorset ), some seem to be blessed with regular good weather, and so on. Any rally with a working agriculture area will be limited by the farming calendar, ploughing in autumn for example.

I’m reminded of a few years ago when our local rally (Welland) was postponed a few weeks due to flooding. The September rally was brilliant! The early dark made a great atmosphere for the funfair and fireworks. On the other hand, another postponed rally I attended that year was dead because most of the engines could not make the second date.

Rally dates could still be fixed a year or more in advance, just not on the same w/e year after year.

Variety is the spice of life!

Any thoughts?

Rob S