Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th January 2013, 09:08 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Samellerton
Default Prickwillow ploughing festival

Prickwillow ploughing festival situated at the prickwillow drainage museum an ajasent green farm in Cambridgeshire! Now taking entries for vintage tractors - steam engines- stationary engines- vintage lorrys cars an motorbikes! For more info contact Pauline Dunham for entry forms on 07793117480
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th January 2013, 11:52 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Hugh Dyson

I am sure we can bring the Garrett over possibly the portable and racksaw if you can find us some wood.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2013, 03:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jonathan Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
.... if you can find us some wood.
For what its worth Hugh, avoid that trap, always take your own wood. Its a bit like the chap wrecking some one elses racing car, having cut up wood at events and hit barbed wire, nails and other bits of steel in 'timber' which was supplied by them, who picks up the tab?

Circular blades are expensive things to look after, so unless its supplied by a known timber merchant or forrestry source, I advise taking your own...

JW
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2013, 07:22 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Samellerton

Spot on Hugh i take it all went well with the hydraulic test?! yeah there's plenty of wood down there! And there trees that have bin cut down no (steel in timber!) Lol!
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th January 2013, 09:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Hugh Dyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 113043 View Post
For what its worth Hugh, avoid that trap, always take your own wood. Its a bit like the chap wrecking some one elses racing car, having cut up wood at events and hit barbed wire, nails and other bits of steel in 'timber' which was supplied by them, who picks up the tab?

Circular blades are expensive things to look after, so unless its supplied by a known timber merchant or forrestry source, I advise taking your own...

JW
Current timber (ash) comes from a local chap who cuts down trees and it seems OK as most of this area is fen and has large plots of land mostly for growing cerials if its local I have been told it should be OK I did have an expensive day with the last lot of poplar with barbed wire and as its just a hobby this spoilt the day so I think I will invest in one of those cheap metal detectors. You soon can tell when you have hit metal once the blade looses its edge the little portable almost gives up. Still learning but keeping the blade really sharp makes all the difference. Ah yes and never buy anything if it is discribed as a boundry tree as you will be better off weighing it in for scrap than cutting it up.