Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd June 2023, 12:59 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson
Default Richard Vernon Collection Sale

I went to Lutterworth yesterday, some pictures are on my website, there was lots more interesting ploughing kit but I had a funeral to attend:
https://www.internationalsteam.co.uk.../ukindex23.htm

Today's hammer bids (text truncated by Cheffins website!) are below. All plus the usual extras of course. These are rather less than I might have expected but I am no expert and maybe they all need work doing on them.

Can someone explain how the second drum works if it is markedly different from the normal one?

150 1909 John Fowler Class BAA Colonial traction engine. Works No. 11717. 6nhp single cylinder. This is one of a total of nine built, as a simple engine but tall enough to cross a river, stream or rough ground. These class BAA engines were sometimes referred to as Anglo-Australian Engines. This example was shipped out to Australia in 1915 and spent most of its working life in New South Wales before returning to England in 1992. It was purchased by Richard Vernon in a semi derelict condition in Ma £49,000
151 1884 John Fowler and Co. Single cylinder double drum ploughing engine. Works no. 4223. 8nhp. 'Aethelflaed' Reg No. AC9061 This rare and interesting engine is unusual in that, as well as a standard rope winding drum fitted beneath the boiler, it also has a vertical drum affixed to the boiler's side, behind the running board. The elegant encased cylinder block and the Salter safety valves are typical early design features of the Victorian era. The engine was supplied new to J. and H. Tovey o £64,000
152 1918 Pair of John Fowler and Co. BB1 Ploughing Engines Works nos. 15170 and 15171. Reg nos. NR 78 and NR79. 16nhp. Double crank compound. Working pressure 180psi. 'Princess Caroline' and 'Princess Jayne'. These engines were supplied new through Government Order K26255 to Thomas Powers, Manor House, Barnwell, Leicestershire on 31st May 1918. They worked throughout Leicestershire, Warwickshire and beyond cable ploughing, cultivating, mole draining and dredging. In 1921 they were registered NR78 £156,000

https://machinerysales.cheffins.co.u...ipment-HALL-FA
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd June 2023, 07:34 PM
Engineer

Full Name: sam goddard

the BB1's were a lot considering they both need major boiler work which will probably result in them having new boilers as there going to the USA long with the 4 furrow balance plough which made 18.500K the under bidder was a local chap and is a real shame he didn't get them.

i was expecting the single cylinder plougher to hit 100K so was surprised by the 65K. the side drum runs off the bell pinion gear on the crank which you engage by sliding the gear lever into what would normally be your 2nd road speed position. the bell pinion runs the counter shaft which runs the ring gear on the drum. to use the 2nd road gear you remove the bell pinion and counter shaft gear then slide the 2nd speed bell pinion onto the crank.

BAA didn't sell but i thought at 49K it should have been let go as not desirable and the slow bidding showed.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th June 2023, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

Full Name: Russ Bulley

My YouTube video https://youtu.be/Vko2ZnyJMlg

Russ
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th June 2023, 09:28 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

The single is basically a dredging engine, with part of the apparatus not fitted, and I was told was to be so sold seperatley. The second drum was simply to return the empty scoop when being used on its own.

As for the BAA. I had a good look at the other one when it was up in Countly Durham. I seem to remember a single speed? but what struck me was unless you were going to pram it everywhere, it wasnt much use for anything other than driving round in circles at rallys. So I am not surprised this one had less appeal.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th June 2023, 11:33 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

The BAA is actually two speed , and would be fine to travel with a coal and water trailer . Actually a very interesting engine , being basically a self moving portable . The whole backend is hung on four rods , and can easily be removed so that you can horse the gumtree logs straight off the ground and into the firedoor . Also inverted firebox crown , annular gear drive , separately driven winding drum , stub rear axles and high ground clearance for fording rivers : a bush engine . Nice to exhibit with a saw bench
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th June 2023, 02:23 PM
Engineer

Full Name: stephen bullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner View Post
. Also inverted firebox crown.

Come on Bob, You've got to explain that one to us!
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th June 2023, 02:25 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Anthony Coulls

I photographed Billy Treloar's one when it was undergoing work at Shildon Engineering, Bob's right - but it's best to illustrate with an image. Will see if I can find the pictures - makes perfect sense for maintenance when far away from the builders.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th June 2023, 03:34 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Edward Potts

Like that. The four sides of the firebox are four separate plates, the top is a fifth plate like a massive roasting tin, fitted with the flange upwards so that it can be riveted from the outside hydraulically.

It’s a marvellous engine. Very interesting, sufficiently robust that 5 out of the nine survive, and well capable of performing like a normal 6 horse threshing engine. It’s just not photogenically British, which frankly isn’t much of a problem to the driver.
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2023, 11:21 AM
Engineer

Full Name: stephen bullman

Ahhh..... so it's not actually the firebox crown, but the outer wrapper of a belpaire box, all clear now, I think.

Coming back to Bob's original description reminded Me of one of the late Tom Paisleys Burrell ploughing engines, where the crown had overheated so much whilst in steam that it had bowed down about 21/2", dragging the stays with it, the late Dan Doncaster reckoned that it was Burrells attempt to make an undroppable fusible plug. Mind You, it must have already had an undroppable plug to have done it in the first place.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2023, 11:31 AM
Engineer

Full Name: David Toyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWHB1 View Post
My YouTube video https://youtu.be/Vko2ZnyJMlg

Russ
Was that God at 4:30?