Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th June 2015, 05:23 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Paul Whipps
Default Long Melford . Suffolk .

Farm Machinery Preservation Society.
The Event is behind Long Melford Hall .
Lady Helen and Wallis Ob 7372 on site with Clayton and Shuttleworth from Castle Hedingham .
Looking forward to what looks likely
to be a warm weekend !
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th June 2015, 07:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Daniel Chidgey

Shall be there with 'George' - Should be a great rally ... looking forward to it
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th June 2015, 08:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: james peter brett
Location: Loddon, Norfolk & Nassington East Northamptonshire.

I will be there with my model Burrell and rack saw bench, sadly Natel Taylor will not be there this year with his Wallis and Steevens Expansion engine "faith" as the Rally is not paying anything towards transportation costs.

(When we preserve our heritage, we protect our future!)

Lord Brett, Bygones Manor, Chedgrave, Loddon, Norwich, Norfolk
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd July 2015, 05:38 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bruce Smith

We are not there because of the same reason as Natel. Although heard this afternoon that we are in the programme, bit naughty of them, as them have known for months !!

If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have got an electrical problem !
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th July 2015, 05:02 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Garwood

11 full size on site. Plus 20 or so models. Not a lot moving though.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th July 2015, 06:04 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Stanley

Good show but sadly down on engines.... good to see you earlier Matt.

Jim
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th July 2015, 01:44 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bruce Smith

I want as a punter yesterday, I only managed to count 10 full size, give into Matts 11, as may have missed one somehow (3 were from Simon Webbs collection i.e. VERY local). I chatted to friends and exhibits in most areas, and sadly all were unhappy. For full size, apart from no financial help with costs, the coal allowance had been reduced by 25% to six bags for the weekend, no movement other than to the ring a back. So after this, around late morning, many told me that with lack of coal, and no movement anyway they would let they fires go slowly out. Was told by four, that they wouldn't be returning next year.
The models guys also had a no movement restriction, so much so that that Doug Fleet was told off for just turning his Foden around to face the correct way in the line up !!!! And again later when he stopped on his permitted way back from the ring to buy some lunch !! Told to return straight back to his peg. As the day went on I did notice more movement from the model guys, as I think they became more rebellious ! Many said that they wouldn't be returning next year.
Chatted to a friend on the stationary engine line up (was had laid out in a different, and poor way), he told me, he and others were not happy, and would not be returning next year. Also as he faced one of the two rings there, he told me that arena events seemed to be down too, at least in that ring.
I did notice many, many empty pegs and space though out the show field, even in areas strong in support (normally) of the FMPS, such as tractors, so much so that I took photos to prove to friends that were not there, as I'm sure that will not believe me when relaying the show to them !! May even post on here if anybody feels they need to see them.
Mrs Bungle and I stayed chatting to friends until around 10.30pm last night, and sadly the unhappy theme ran though every conversation we had. It will take an awful lot to turn this once good show back around, I hope in time that it can be done, but I am fearful for it's future at this moment in time.

Bungle
Traders told me that pitch fees had been increased by 50% (!), which explained the reduced trade and food stands.

If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have got an electrical problem !
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th July 2015, 03:58 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Arthur Carpenter

Sorry to hear Bungles report above.

I am not a person to go to the same events every year so didn't go this year, last year was acceptable albeit a little wet at times and I photographed some 14 engines.

Regarding engine movements, there is an item in Discussions I believe on this same subject.

Arfursteam
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th July 2015, 08:31 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Harry Copsey

The same feeling was felt in the Commercial section, we were moved at last notice from the section marked on the site plan to the far edge of the field behind the steamers and during Saturday less than a dozen people ventured up to our fire engine. Sunday morning we trundled down to the ring for our scheduled 'parade' at 11:30 to be told that the Hall had demanded no vehicular movement on site and to get back to our peg immediately. The atmosphere this year was nowhere near what it was in previous years and many people in other sections said they wouldn't be returning.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th July 2015, 09:26 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: keith foskett

Very disappointing weekend
I had my grandson seated next to me queuing up to go into arena and was told told no children were allowed in the ring and also a lot of disappointed children in trailers all seated had to be taken back to caravans before we could enter ring . Would have been better to have been informed earlier quoted H/S .
Keith