Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 03:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Garwood

Not sure whether I wanted to wade in on this one, but sadly I think the rot has well and truly settled in to what was once a fantastic show. 4 years ago this was by far the best show of the year. You were surrounded with friendly exhibitors, marshalls, stewards everything. A relaxed show which showed through smiles and fun, enthusiasm and life. This year it seemed more like a ghost town and there was no spark, much like Bruce has mentioned already.
I agree that a lot of the committee are helpful and friendly. The steam steward, Colin does an amazing job and we most certainly cannot put blame at them as they work hard and do what they are directed to do. That’s why my family continued to help him. Whilst there I also wondered if the negativity was just people moaning. Lots of us have had negative experiences and I was sure to not become biased over this, but I think this negativity was too far spread and across too many sections for it to be a few isolated cases.
Yes I think the man at the top is on some power mission and if that’s how they want to run their show that’s fine. But this year will be a reflection on what the show will become. Look at the commercial section, must be a quarter of what is was. Likewise look at the steam, stationary, military, cars and even the tractors. They were all down and why is that.
I have heard and seen it mentioned they want it to be an agricultural show (like it started out as) but seeing problems in the stationary engine line (which is one of the clubs key areas) and massive gaps in the tractor sections I am not sure that is true either. And what is more agricultural than an old traction engine. I wonder what they really want the show to be.
As for young free blood on the committee, they don’t want it. They claim they do, but they don’t. They are so negative to new ideas, thinking differently, mitigating risks rather than just stopping everything there is little response to help. We have offer and tried. My eldest son has done loads to help (physical help at the show (setting up and taking down) and offers of paperwork help over the past few years, all to help the older ones. But as far as helping progress the show. No chance. All we got for helping was a load of hassle from certain rally committee members as if we were dirt on their shoe. Then the story everyone hears is we are trouble. I hope those who know me and my family know otherwise. I wonder where the fun went from this show.
Regarding children and trailers, sadly there was nothing you could say to the committee on that one. I have friends who are also fully insured for carrying their children. They even phoned up just before the show to check out the rules, to be told it was ok for children on trailers behind models. Then just before entering the ring they were demanded to remove the children, citing H&S grounds. Well H&S is no reason at all, given they are insured, the trailer is built of passengers and above all these were their children. If anyone is going to look after them, it is their own parents. H&S is just an excuse for not being able to think about risks and risk mitigation. There are too many people on this committee that you cannot talk too.
So I wonder where this one goes. I spent a lot of time and money to support it this year. Will it change by next year, do they want us steam engines, commercial vehicles, stationary engines or tractors? I’m not convinced. All I know is that I was fortunate enough to have enough good friends to enjoy the weekend, but sad the show has hit the rocks. Not one to look back fondly on. I think my 8 year old summed it up this morning when I asked him what he thought. He said “Bit rubbish really and they have crazy rules this year” enough said.
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 03:33 PM
Engineer

Opps - double posted. Don't want to say all that again.
  #23  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 03:34 PM
Engineer

Full Name: james peter brett
Location: Loddon, Norfolk & Nassington East Northamptonshire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
It is worth noting though that in some of the non-steam Stationary Engine / Tractor circles there is a degree of resentment towards payments being made to assist steam engines in attending events when they get nothing, this could be a part of the issue at Melford.
The people who make comments of this are normally poorly educated in how much it costs to take a engine to a show, weather on a lorry, lowloader, or roaded in, and many who say this (wrongly) think just because you have a engine, you are loaded with money and can afford to take you engine to shows out of your own pocket. There are shows about that do not have steam, but these are not as popular as those that do. Stradsett park rally is organised by NvTEC, and in the last few years has started having a few steam engines present as they have realised they are a more of a crowd puller than 100's of pop and bangs, and static tractors.

(When we preserve our heritage, we protect our future!)

Lord Brett, Bygones Manor, Chedgrave, Loddon, Norwich, Norfolk
  #24  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 03:37 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespeterbrett View Post
The people who make comments of this are normally poorly educated in how much it costs to take a engine to a show, weather on a lorry, lowloader, or roaded in, and many are (wrongly) think just because you have a engine, you are loaded with money and can afford to take you engine to shows out of your own pocket. There are shows about that do not have steam, but these are not as popular as those that do. Stradsett park rally is organised by NvTEC, and in the last few years has started having a few engines present as they have realised they are a more of a crowd puller than 100's of pop and bangs, and static tractors.
And that is certainly the case in this instance, but the reaction is just - why not leave them in a museum. I think the show needs to work out what it wants to be. It certainly is not what it was. But what do the organisers want the future to be?
  #25  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 04:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Elijah Bell

Quote:
There are shows about that do not have steam, but these are not as popular as those that do. Stradsett park rally is organised by NvTEC, and in the last few years has started having a few steam engines present as they have realised they are a more of a crowd puller than 100's of pop and bangs, and static tractors.
I can see why other exhibitors may have some slight issue with the steamers getting more financing than other exhibits, but at the end of the day it IS the steamers that for most are the crowd pullers. Personally there are a number of Agricultural/County/Railway etc shows that I have gone to simply to see one or two engines, and whilst same can't be said for 100 % of Joe Public, I'm sure I'm not the only one!
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 04:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown

Quote:
The people who make comments of this are normally poorly educated in how much it costs to take a engine to a show, weather on a lorry, lowloader, or roaded in, and many who say this (wrongly) think just because you have a engine, you are loaded with money and can afford to take you engine to shows out of your own pocket. There are shows about that do not have steam, but these are not as popular as those that do. Stradsett park rally is organised by NvTEC, and in the last few years has started having a few steam engines present as they have realised they are a more of a crowd puller than 100's of pop and bangs, and static tractors.
Some also make the point however that it can cost as much to low load a tractor, combine, large piece of machinery as it does to move a traction engine. And costs are going up for everyone, its costing us over £1k to get a new chromed surround made for our ERF Showmans tractor, a similar amount for two new front wings (at a very good price), a similar amount to have the radiator re cored, more again for the dynamo to be rebuilt. We've staggered it over several years, as we can afford it all in one hit. High costs are not the exclusive province of the steam movement

There is a very diverse mix in the steam (and vintage) world, be that backgrounds, jobs, age, funds but it is our hobby and I do feel we are lucky that we have somewhere to take our toys to, and that people are willing to pay to get in to watch us enjoying them!

As has been said before if you own a set of golf clubs, you still have to pay to use the course!

I agree Steam is a big draw, Stradsett is a good example of introducing steam to a tractor event and I went last year with a friends engine and organ. They didn't pay us however and the steward was keen to point out that his sugar beet harvesting machine opposite (very large and complicated) had cost him money to transport to the event and to replace parts to get it working. The provided coal which seemed a fair

I think the payment issue is a separate one to that effecting Melford (though its a relevant concern). Really if its a club event or a charity event I feel the money is best in their pot and put to good use. Commercial events however should make a reasonable contribution if you are helping them make a profit.
  #27  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 06:25 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Some also make the point however that it can cost as much to low load a tractor, combine, large piece of machinery as it does to move a traction engine. And costs are going up for everyone, its costing us over £1k to get a new chromed surround made for our ERF Showmans tractor, a similar amount for two new front wings (at a very good price), a similar amount to have the radiator re cored, more again for the dynamo to be rebuilt. We've staggered it over several years, as we can afford it all in one hit. High costs are not the exclusive province of the steam movement

There is a very diverse mix in the steam (and vintage) world, be that backgrounds, jobs, age, funds but it is our hobby and I do feel we are lucky that we have somewhere to take our toys to, and that people are willing to pay to get in to watch us enjoying them!

As has been said before if you own a set of golf clubs, you still have to pay to use the course!

I agree Steam is a big draw, Stradsett is a good example of introducing steam to a tractor event and I went last year with a friends engine and organ. They didn't pay us however and the steward was keen to point out that his sugar beet harvesting machine opposite (very large and complicated) had cost him money to transport to the event and to replace parts to get it working. The provided coal which seemed a fair

I think the payment issue is a separate one to that effecting Melford (though its a relevant concern). Really if its a club event or a charity event I feel the money is best in their pot and put to good use. Commercial events however should make a reasonable contribution if you are helping them make a profit.
Repairs to you exhibit, regardless of what it is, is down to you, and not a case for you to seek payment. Steam engines are the biggest crowd puller at any show, and a lack of steam is what most people seam to talk about when a shows is down on a big way on numbers of steam. The lack of money (or coal) towards transportation of a engine to a show is the main reason why Melford rally was only able to field 11 engines, and the discontent and upset did spread to fiends of the full size engines,

Most members of the public who are not even steam enthusiasts love seeing steam engines, but most members of the public would not look twice as a piece of harvesting machinery, old tractor or classic lorry. My advise on a stationary engine forum a few years ago when they were jealously moaning about the money steam engines get at shows, was if your not happy with the fact they get paid and you don't, don't go to that show. if neither of you attended, it would be the chap with the steam engine who would be missed the most. If people are stupid enough to think the money that shows pay out covers the transportation fees of taking a engine to a rally, then they are seriously mistaken.

I for one at Raveningham always try to pay the engines attending well, either in coal or money towards their lowloader. The committee know what a crowd puller they are and have no issues with paying out, as their attraction in their own right will pay for its self. Sadly the same cant be said for most other type of exhibits, regardless of their transportation needs. In regards to tractors, yes most use a lorry, of which 99% of them are owned by the exhibitor, cars use a few pounds of fuel and then sit there all day, stationary engine transportation costs and running fees are low. vintage commercial fuel feels are much greater, but what percentage of those present have to higher a lowloader to attend, and how many can say that the commercials are the star attraction at a steam and/or vintage rally? How many owners of the other type of exhibits are normally with their exhibits and are on hand to answer questions, hoe many of the other types of exhibits are willing to take part in fun and games in the ring. I know from the shows I organize, that the hardest people to please are the classic cars, and the most helpful tend to be the steam section.

#28  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 06:37 PM
Engineer

Money is not the problem at Melford. It's the respect and appreciation shown to all exhibitors that counts. Whether it's a million pounds showmans or stall of mamods. We all make up the show. But why go if the show organisers won't appreciate you.
  #29  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 07:53 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael Pumfrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeonoldgirl View Post
Money is not the problem at Melford. It's the respect and appreciation shown to all exhibitors that counts. Whether it's a million pounds showmans or stall of mamods. We all make up the show. But why go if the show organisers won't appreciate you.
Exactly, rallying an engine, or anything else, is supposed to be an enjoyable hobby. Why go anywhere where you're not appreciated? To be honest, there are plenty of other shows that weekend that would be delighted to welcome you along.
  #30  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2015, 08:10 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comeonoldgirl View Post
money was certainly the reason for the lack of full size engines, but not the discontent that has seemingly spread right across all the exhibit sections. its almost unbelievable how quickly a fantastic rally has gone down hill.