Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th November 2011, 05:43 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley
Default Stand Pipe and key

Anyone got one spare?

Also a length of hose?

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by buzzy bee; 20th November 2011 at 05:59 PM..
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th November 2011, 05:49 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Baines

Hi Dave, I'm contemplating buying one of these ( link below) as it has the double check valve unlike a lot of the older second hand ones that are floating about. Bit expensive to buy new but a lot cheaper than the fines they dish out when you get caught without a check valve!

Anyone know of any that can be bought any cheaper than the one below?

http://www.aqua-check.co.uk/index.ph...eck-valve.html

t.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th November 2011, 08:20 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy bee View Post
Anyone got one spare?

Also a length of hose?

Cheers

Dave
Curses Dave, father weighed in a stand pipe for want of a rubber in it a couple of weeks ago!.

We have an ali one in use and a bronze one as a 'spare' as father polished it up, and I wont use it.

I've got a contact who will sell you a brand new 70foot length of hose for £40, we've just bought one to use with the Merryweather. I dare say he might have standpipes and keys too.

I'm also told that the Cooperman is considering setting himself up with a 1inch double check valve job, so his standpipe may be availible. His theory is that if he gets had, everything will be in order bar for the licence. He recolns a 1inch runnig full bore fills up as quick as a 2 1/2 on trickle.

Saying that it gets used rarely, I'd rather suck water out of streams, theres plently about our part of the world. How long is your hose?
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th November 2011, 09:04 PM
Engineer

Full Name: iain jubb

I paid about £40 off eBay for a brand new one. Does the job nicely. Then 3/4" hose from screwfix. Fills pretty fast to ve honest and we fill a 1000litre tank with it.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th November 2011, 09:07 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Yeah I plan a water cart and will use the water lifter too, found it very efficient when I tested her in a bucket earlier in the year, but nice to have a stand pip to hand I thought, should the need arise etc. No rush to get one, just thought I would put the wrod out. I was thinking of a handy honda water pump too, on the water cart in a hidden spot, for filling the cart, save a bit of water from the tap!

I have been offered a check valve one but it is only 3/4", so would be like a normal hose, wonder how long it would take?
Can you PM, your contact? Handy to have on file..

Cheers

Dave
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th November 2011, 09:10 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Anthony Coulls

http://williamsons-oldham.co.uk/fire..._equipment.php
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st November 2011, 12:00 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Baines

I think it depends on how effecient you wish to be with your pit stops!

My theory is that by the time I have oiled up, filled the tender with coal and done a general check of the engine I want the cube and my tank to be full, anything longer than this is wasted time. No bother if you're on a leisurely jaunt but for serious distance this is the time that counts. I travelled with Hairy monster and he has fast pit stops and filling the cube is the longest task even with the bigger bore.

The small 3/4 ( Contractor's site) pipes tend to not have check valves in so be careful what you buy as the fines are hefty!

Streams never seem to be where you want them or not dried up in summer - particularly in the east of England!!

t.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st November 2011, 12:12 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Tom,

Be carefull running the hydrant gear at full bore. A few years ago now we were going up the hope valley and stopped at a hydrant at the summit. The pit was so full of shite so I had the bright idea of turning the valve full bore to wash the rubbish out of the pit so I could find the outlet.

I did this, and it took nearly a minuite for the water to clear. Just as we had finished filling up and were putting the gear away a local appeared, of the hairy knuckle dragging variety, telling me to 'switch the water back on' as seemingly he had lost pressure, I replied he didn't want that as it would make it worse to no avail, Father tried to explain that once the pumping station had caught up all would be fine again, but he must have been one of those who should have described themselves as feeble minded on Neils 1901 census form so really we didnt have a hope. He got a bit aggressive, but ignoring him we seemed to get away. It looked like violence was going to be needed at one point, it was not a very nice experience to say the least.
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st November 2011, 06:17 PM
Engineer

Full Name: iain jubb

Yup, I got a Honda copy pump from ebay and it fils rapidly. We do about 30miles (5-6hrs) before we need water so by this point oiling, food and drink is needed to a 30minute stop is welcome. I agree about making the lit stops quick though. But one long pitstop a day isn't bad.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st November 2011, 09:47 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Robert Millington

Dave, there is a company on Wrexham industrial estate that does them. I can direct you If you give me a ring when you are in the area.
Cheers Robert