Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#41  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th July 2008, 11:52 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Neil Bishop

We're bringing Queen Mary down on Saturday morning. Finger's crossed it stays dry......me thinks it won't! :-( Still I'm sure we'll all have a lot of fun!
Neil
  #42  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th July 2008, 12:53 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: jane

think the forecast is showers and windy ...still, the wind may keep the ground a bit firmer *wishful thinking*..and it wouldnt be a summer rally unless it was wet or scorching hot would it..heehee...sure it will still be great tho..im not too far from the site here and the weather is really sunny and hot at the moment, just a bit of breeze but as im on the coast it may well be stiller inland...blue sky with barely a cloud!!!
  #43  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th July 2008, 06:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Wizz Stearne

Hiya
I need a contact phone number for a rally organiser ASAP!!!
We've had a major chance of plans an would like to bring the 3" Fowler allong for the day tomorrow. Can someone pm me ASAP!!!

Many thanks
  #44  Post / In Thread 
Old 4th July 2008, 07:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael Fuller

Wizz

Have pm'd you

Liz
(Mike's Mum)
  #45  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th July 2008, 05:17 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Becky Blaker

Well the rally is half way through and if the first half is anything to go by, I'm deffinately coming back next year.

It's fab and such a great atmosphere.

If anyone is about tomorrow I recomend you come along.
Happy steaming
;-)
  #46  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th July 2008, 06:32 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Tutt

Hear Hear. A great start. Report and pictures in the show report forum tomorrow night.
  #47  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th July 2008, 06:55 PM
Apprentice

Had an excellent day,just like rallies used to be! Friendly and well organised and fun arena events.Lots of positive comments from many people we spoke to.Hope it all goes ahead next year, we will definitely be back!
  #48  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th July 2008, 07:36 PM
Apprentice

Thumbs up

Just by way of, I hope , constructive comment, the only downside I was aware of (on behalf of model steam, not ourselves) was the separate camping regarding steam exhibits.I do appreciate the reasons for separate fields, but with the smaller steam, if they fail to get steam up or have other problems it could mean they are stuck in the camping field all day.Also they do need a lot of 'gubbins' around them to keep them steaming all day so for the smaller scales its quite a trek back and forth to the camping field.(This is a real problem if they run out of steam on the rally field, and have to push the engine all the way back, they may be small but are still heavy!!)We were very appreciative that we were allowed our trailer by our exhibit today, as it doubles as cover from weather,allowing it to still be on display... otherwise visitors would just have seen a tarpaulin! and we would have been sitting in the car park for shelter.(also, as im hobbling about on a cast, it made a huge difference to me ...so many thanks for that :-))

but as i said..hats off to the organisers...a great show

Last edited by beej; 5th July 2008 at 07:48 PM..
  #49  Post / In Thread 
Old 5th July 2008, 07:53 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Mills
Thumbs up

This was an absolutely faultless first event with every form of road steam represented and maybe the most detailed printed programme I've come across this year. The showfield was packed with exhibits, trade stands were situated where they didn't become intrusive and - best of all - the Sussex Club had insisted on a separate camping field so that the engine lines didn't resemble a sort of canvas shanty town.And if you wanted a chance to steer Lord Roberts a mere £2 charitable donation was all that was required..

This is what events used to be like and should be like today but, sadly, all too rarely are.
  #50  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th July 2008, 08:39 AM
Apprentice

I agree, but to be fair, the full size did have modern caravans, vehicles and a few tents with their engines...but i do appreciate the reasons for separate fields.The ideal would be as it used to be at the first Ringmer shows, with SOME camping just behind ie..fairground/trade stands (around the edge)so out of sight but still on the field.I know it depends on lots of factors though.It was just an observation in defence of the model steamers.(They weren't complaining as far as i know, but i could see their problems)

i agree about the programme, very well produced and worth buying :-)

Last edited by beej; 6th July 2008 at 09:01 AM..