Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th December 2014, 11:45 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown
Default EATES 60th Anniversary Year

Hi All

On behalf of the East Anglian Traction Engine Society I am pleased to share with TT our two main planned events for next year

Saffron Walden Crank Up 9th & 10th May

Since the demise of Thurlow a few years back, we have been without a club rally. John Hunt has done excellent work in conjunction with Audley End Miniature Railway for several years and now feels that we have outgrown that location

John approached Paul Englemann who used to run the Saffron Walden Crank Up to see if we could utilise the name and was given his full blessing. A site has been procured at Sparrows End, Newport, Saffron Walden and the event will run in May over the weekend of the 9th & 10th

For more information please contact John directly on 07882 175 438 or email swcrankup@gmail.com

For those who fancy tagging another weekend on afterwards, Clive Flack (allsteamedup) is organising his annual pub event in Bassingbourn at The Hoops May 16th- 17th supported by BSEPS. All being well I know of two or three engines planning to steam from Saffron Walden to Bassinbourn the Friday before which is just under a ten mile journey. I'm sure there would be room for more!

Diamond Anniversary Road Run 1st & 2nd August

The road run will be based on the route used in 2012 for the successful Sudbury Steam Tour. A leisurely road run of around 14 miles on the Saturday, with a pub stop for lunch and museum visit before winding back to Long Melford High Street in the late afternoon. A shorter route will be provided for models directly from Acton to Long Melford in the afternoon. We also welcome all kinds of vintage & historic vehicles

We are being hosted for the weekend by Simon Webb and family, at their yard in Acton. There is no planned evening entertainment, but as Long Melford is close we will investigate arranging transport to there for the evening when numbers become known. It is planned for those who chose to go into Long Melford to centre our evening around the Cock & Bell Pub, which serves food and there are a number of other food outlets along the high street

Sunday will see a short leisurely run to a local pub for those who wish to join in. Some may choose to return home or travel on to the Museum of East Anglian Life at Stowmarket for the driving course the weekend after.

Last night I received an email from Jonathan Wheeler reminding me of his Threshing Day at Bardwell two weeks later. If logistics can be sorted he has suggested a run from Acton to Bardwell on Saturday 16th August.

The road run is also proceeded by Weeting Rally and Sudbury Rally in the month before, so if you aren't from the area its a good excuse to come up and do a few events

For more details or entry forms for the road run please PM me, email adam.m.brown@hotmail.co.uk or call me on 07540 589 039 I'll also be happy to assist with details of other events in the locality around that time should they be of interest
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th December 2014, 01:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jonathan Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Hi All

Last night I received an email from Jonathan Wheeler reminding me of his Threshing Day at Bardwell two weeks later. If logistics can be sorted he has suggested a run from Acton to Bardwell on Saturday 16th August.
Just for the record, the Threshing Day at Bardwell Windmill is Sunday 23rd August, I think my suggestion was for a run on Saturday 22nd August, when we have an evening event planned which would make a nice end to the day for a steam run. A simple traditional beer tent with refreshments.... All proceeds towards the ongoing restoration and maintenance of the Windmill...

All are welcome, plenty of room for over night stoppers in anticipation of the Sunday Threshing Day

We look forward to being part of the EATES 60th Anniversary Year please, if we can!!

JW
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th December 2014, 07:26 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Hart

Count us in for both!
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th December 2014, 09:55 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Tom Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
Hi All

For those who fancy tagging another weekend on afterwards, Clive Flack (allsteamedup) is organising his annual pub event in Bassingbourn at The Hoops May 16th- 17th supported by BSEPS. All being well I know of two or three engines planning to steam from Saffron Walden to Bassinbourn the Friday before which is just under a ten mile journey. I'm sure there would be room for more!
Just did a route map as 10 miles sounded a bit short, from Newport Saffron Walden to the Hoops is 19miles. Going through Great Chishill up the A505 for half a mile and up through Melbourn to Bassingbourn. Its a route we do quite regularly on the roller and its a nice run as not too busy and a couple of nice pubs as well for lunch.

Pretty sure Jamie would have already said yes to the crank up with the roller. The road run be a nice one two as pretty dead time of year for us but be good to get the miniatures out.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd January 2015, 11:12 AM
Engineer

Full Name: glen prince

There is now a website up and running for the new rally www.swcrankup.co.uk looks like it is going to a great addition to the local rally circuit.

Glen
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 3rd January 2015, 02:14 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Stanley

Indeed a new welcome addition to the East Anglian rally scene.
I always enjoyed this show in its old form and roaded my own roller 8837 too and from there a couple of times as well as crewing on other engines including the lovely old Clayton which John Garwood and family so well care for.

Lets hope the new show can follow in the footsteps of this old friendly, enjoyable rally.

Well done to all involved.

Jim