Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2008, 03:22 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Robinson
Default Harewood or Temple Newsam

Hi folks. I've been away from steam rallies for more years than I care to remember, so I am a bit out of touch with "the scene".

I was surprised to find a steam rally at the end of the street I live in - as a result of the North Lincs rally moving to Winterton Showground. I enjoyed that so much that I tried the Lincoln rally last weekend, and I am now thinking about, maybe, going to one of the Leeds rallies this weekend.

I must admit I was surprised to see two events so close on the same weekend, and wondered which one I should choose to visit. Any thoughts?
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2008, 04:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Philip Procter

Why not go to both, neither is so large as to take up a whole day.
Set off early and you would fit two in, the distance between them is approx half an hours travelling.

I personally will be attending Harewood with a vintage car, but have been to both events in recent years.

It is a shame that they cannot get together somehow and have all the exibits at one common venue for the weekend. From what I have heard that is very unlikely to ever happen and there seems to be a lot of bad feeling between the organising bodies, depending who you talk to.

Phil
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2008, 05:30 PM
Engineer

Thanks Phil. Two in one day sounds unlikely. I had in mind a nicely "chilled" day. I also work "musicians hours" and early starts are not on the agenda!

Whichever I choose I am sure I'll have a good day.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2008, 06:25 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Bramwell

I hope to be at both over the two days same as last year given that Ilive locally it's not a problem .
Last year Harewood saw more steam exhibits than Temple Newsam but this year is the
25th Anniversary at Temple Newsam I think so there maybe more numbers .
I went to the Winterton Show and had a good day , the venue has a very good arena , ideal for a small steam rally.
Harewood had working areas last year but I have only ever seen wod cutting at Temple Newsam.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2008, 07:59 PM
Engineer

Thanks Cygnus.

Yes, Winterton Showground is a good site. Nice to have a road run past the house as well! I wondered if they kept this years rally small because of the new site. Photos from previous years seemed to suggest that they had over 20 engines at the Brocklesby Park site, whereas there were only 8 at Winterton.

I guess a lot of locals might do both the Leeds events, which I guess helps keep them both viable. Can't afford two days off work right now though, so a choice has to be made.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2008, 08:04 PM
Engineer

Phil. Just noticed your posting on another thread re-your Austin 7 special. You wouldn't be a 750 MC man would you? I raced FVee with 750 for a while and once drag raced an Austin 7 special build by Steve Wilkinson.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2008, 09:23 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Philip Procter

Hi John

I was in the 750 MC for a while, but for the past ten years or so have been a member of the PWA7C who seem more active around here. I don't race my special it's just for playing on the roads with.

I have done some modification work on Bob Sterlings A7 race car engine, that is a very quick car and usually wins whenever it comes out.

Mine has been modified to make it go up hills better (more torque) and for reliability, rather than top speed.

If you get to Harewood on Sunday, come and have a chat and look under the bonnet, its the polished aluminium bodied open two seater.

Phil
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2008, 09:54 PM
Engineer

Thanks Phil. If I don't make it to Harewood on Sunday I'll keep an eye open for you at future events.
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th August 2008, 06:38 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Bramwell

Does anyone know if the Temple Newsam event is happening this weekend .
I was at Harewood House today and overheard someone say that the event had been cancelled , I intended going tomorrow but I would like confirmation before making a decision
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th August 2008, 07:00 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Chris Rhodes

Cant say but all the signs went up Friday, but only saw 2 for Harewwod.

Chris.