Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th January 2017, 07:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: James Littlewood
Default 4" TE or 6" Ruston SD (working)

Hi all,

Am trying to cover all bases so as well as scouring all the usual dealer suspects and OG (I have got all that in hand so no need to refer me to them! Am aware of the 6" SD at Berrybrook, etc etc) I would like to ask here if anyone has got anything I might fancy!

I am on the look out preferably for a fully sorted 6" Ruston & Proctor SD tractor or any other similar small 6" road tractors, but would consider other fully sorted 4" or 4 1/2" general purpose/road locos, preferably hefty stuff around the 500-600kg mark! Definite preference for road engines. No steam wagons please (as much as I do like them)!

Road registered w/ V5 ideal, tyres a definite requirement, please have in date hydraulic and steam tests!

Looking around £20k tops. Transport shouldn't be necessary, can travel to sort collection etc.

PMs and replies welcome. Happy to discuss by email/phone for those with whom it might be more convenient. Pictures wanted before any viewing, video ideal if you have/can get any.

Thanks all.

James
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th January 2017, 10:16 PM
Engineer

Full Name: chris wilkinson
Default Model search

Hello James, what is wrong or what do you not like about the 6" SD at berrybrook?
Chris.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 28th January 2017, 10:19 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris w View Post
Hello James, what is wrong or what do you not like about the 6" SD at berrybrook?
Chris.
Hi Chris,

Nothing wrong with it per se, looks a lovely engine. A friend of mine knows the chap who built it and speaks very highly of it. Just trying to keep my options as fully open as can be, so to speak. I am quite sure at this stage we will go with that one but while we still have a bit of time we are open to anything else that might come along and perk our interest.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th January 2017, 08:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: chris wilkinson

Hi James, would you not consider a kit from STW? Or are you wanting to do some work on updating an older engine,
Chris.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th January 2017, 09:04 PM
Engineer

Hi Chris,

It's very tempting, I do like their kits engines, but to be completely honest we don't have the skills, space, tools, etc etc - and more importantly, time - to put one together. Hence we'd like a working engine to start off, we can continue to learn (we've had a couple already, rail and road) and so on and develop our knowledge over the ticket duration of the engine so we're better prepared for work etc.

We are looking at the Berrybrook Ruston next week, but, as I say, I'd always rather keep my options open.

All the best,
James
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st January 2017, 09:02 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Mike Mortimer

Hi James . I have a 4 " Dodman near completion that will be tested on 14th march so will be available after that , around 20k also a Fowler BB1 again 4" completed 2014 again will have a fresh ticket on 14 th March and be available after that around 28k pm me if interested ,, Mike
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st January 2017, 04:53 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: stuart wells

I built the ruston and i can assure you it was 'fully sorted' when it left me, ran it and enjoyed it, wish i could afford to buy it back should never have sold it. It was a good powerful engine. well worth a look.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st January 2017, 06:48 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamedup View Post
Hi James . I have a 4 " Dodman near completion that will be tested on 14th march so will be available after that , around 20k also a Fowler BB1 again 4" completed 2014 again will have a fresh ticket on 14 th March and be available after that around 28k pm me if interested ,, Mike
Thanks Mike, the Fowler is a way out of our price range but the Dodman sounds an interesting and rare engine, we'll bear it in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellsthesteam View Post
I built the ruston and i can assure you it was 'fully sorted' when it left me, ran it and enjoyed it, wish i could afford to buy it back should never have sold it. It was a good powerful engine. well worth a look.
Yes Stuart, Callum D has told me how good it is! Just keeping options open.

We would be sorely tempted by a 4" Burrell DCC road loco if anyone has got one..... We'd rather wait and settle on an engine that really suits us down to the ground than hurry into something.
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th February 2017, 10:48 AM
Engineer

Unfortunately nothing has come of Berrybrook's Ruston (not down to the engine itself) and we have been beaten to a couple of other engines so we are still on the lookout.

Ideally for a Burrell DCC but anything relatively hefty (albeit not BB1 territory) is good. Definite preference for general purpose and road locos, especially road locos! Stuff in the OP still applies of course.

Thanks folks.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 25th February 2017, 11:14 PM
Engineer

At last. Got there in the end!

Thanks for all your help folks.