Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th April 2017, 10:36 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bill Starling
Default The Burrell Museum's Easter Sunday 'Do'

As no-one else has posted pictures from this event here's a few I took, to acknowledge Steamfly3535's publicity.

The Burrell Museum's SRL 'Queen Mary'. A grand old lady still in her working clothes.
[IMG]http://[/IMG]

The patent Burrell-Rutty scarifier must have put a lot of extra weight on the off-side roll.

A new Foden from the Venni stable.

I always like MacLaren road locos, in any scale.

And the other side.

A nice little Aveling.

'Percy ll' - the Burrell, not the driver.

A 3 ins Minnie. I'm told there's something in 6 ins scale in gestation.

A fine DCC Burrell.

Finally - this chap never seems to have trouble finding female passengers for his Lykamobile.

All being well, most of the miniatures will be at Model Engineers' Day at the Forncett Steam Museum on 1st October.
Bill.
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th April 2017, 11:02 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown

I'm pretty sure Queen Mary isn't working clothes, I thought she was repainted by Viv Kirk in the 50's/60's? I recall talking to a chap at a rally who assisted him with the work.

Not that she doesn't look nice and authentic but just something I've wondered about
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th April 2017, 11:59 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bill Starling

Re Queen Mary, it's just 'received wisdom'. Was Viv Kirk a showman or an early preservationist? I'd be pleased to learn more.
Bill.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th April 2017, 07:36 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Elijah Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Idle Fellow View Post
Re Queen Mary, it's just 'received wisdom'. Was Viv Kirk a showman or an early preservationist? I'd be pleased to learn more.
Bill.
Early preservationist, did most of the restoration of Queen Mary in a backyard workshop from what I have heard. The paint on her now is likely what he painted her in when he restored her - but that still makes it a few decades old! She's as close to a working clothes showmans engine as you are likely to get I would suspect, I think she looks spot on!
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th April 2017, 07:39 PM
Engineer

Full Name: stephen bullman

Viv Kirk was a GPO Telephone Engineer definitely not a showman, he owned around half a dozen engines in early preservation days and had a lot of ex showland trailers, packing trucks etc. I've got it in mind that he saved a couple of engines from The Vale of The White Horse Engineering works, but under which name I'm not sure. He almost certainly re-painted Princess Mary but the paintwork is now older than the original paint would have been. We visited his yard in the mid seventies when he was preparing to re-box Princess Mary but I believe that it was later done comercially.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st April 2017, 08:26 AM
Engineer

Full Name: lee chadderton

Talking to a crew member of Queen Mary at Dorset a few years back I was told the wheels were still original Burrell workmanship but the rest had been repainted.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st April 2017, 12:42 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Chris Hazel

Many thanks Bill for putting the pictures up,
I don't suppose anyone picked up an extension chimney from the car park? I seem to remember putting it on the wheel arch of my trailer (instead of placing it securely in the boot of the car!) of course it didn't make it home! Its the one shown on the 3" Minnie, black about 20" long with a handle half way up. It would save me having to make a new one if it turned up again.

As ever thanks to everyone who turned up it was a grand day out! The road run was as hilarious as ever, we got totally lost and very low on water! The weather men got the forecast totally wrong, I guess their prediction of torrential rain put many off, in the end it rained lightly for about twenty minutes!

The closing "Do" is the last Saturday in October (The 28th) please make a note in the diary and come along, probably shouldn't mention the end of the season when its hardly begun!

Cheers Chris H
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st April 2017, 01:08 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Tom Allen

I think queen mary looks as close to a working clothes engine as you can get and looks great for it.

Any engine still in original paintwork isnt what it would of looked like when actually working, the paint has had at least another 60 years of degradation even if retired in the 1950s.

Thanks for the pictures, its a nice little do i missed it this time but thoroughly enjoyed the few hours up there last year for the end of season event.