Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th July 2012, 10:40 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: JOHN MAUND
Default Long Melford Vintage Rally

I thought I would add a few more photos of this event, in addition to those of Mark Vine's roller in the other thread. Very attractive setting in fields overlooking the National Trust property Melford Hall (itself well worth a visit), and with 15 full size steamers present. The weather was surprisingly good yesterday; there had been a lot of rain beforehand and the third photo in the sequence shows the gateway on my arrival at about 10.30am. A number of the engines were unable to get to the rallyfield because of the condition of the gateway so were parked up in the public car park at that point; however, it stayed dry all day, and by the end of the day all engines had managed to get on to the rally site, mostly unaided, as the ground had dried out significantly in that time. Incidentally, the two engines in the photos which do not have number plates displayed are Marshall 40101 of 1903 (with Marshall threshing drum in the second picture) and Aveling Roller 10393 of 1922 (seventh picture).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg t14DSC_0911mod.jpg (133.8 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg t14DSC_0937.jpg (117.5 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg t14DSC_0998.jpg (154.0 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg t14DSC_1011.jpg (125.8 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg t14DSC_1143.jpg (111.5 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg t14DSC_1223.jpg (103.7 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg t14DSC_1274.jpg (121.6 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg t14DSC_1294.jpg (129.5 KB, 118 views)
File Type: jpg t14DSC_1335.jpg (117.3 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg t14DSC_1339mod.jpg (112.0 KB, 122 views)
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th July 2012, 10:59 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Terry Baxter

Sorry to report that, due to overnight rain, the rally has been cancelled for today (Sunday). I tried to return today but was refused vehicular entry as the entry to the rally field was a lot worse than the photo in 40155s' post. Saturday was very good though.

Terry.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th July 2012, 12:13 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: JOHN MAUND

Quote:
Originally Posted by injectorman View Post
Sorry to report that, due to overnight rain, the rally has been cancelled for today (Sunday). I tried to return today but was refused vehicular entry as the entry to the rally field was a lot worse than the photo in 40155s' post. Saturday was very good though.

Terry.
What a crying shame! The entrance was poor yesterday morning but had dried so well during the day that even the rollers were moving without difficulty by yesterday evening - in my last photo the Aveling Roller is actually rolling the gateway to smooth it out. I feel really sorry for the organisers when this happens, after all their hard work to put the show on.
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th July 2012, 07:43 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Ian Couchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by injectorman View Post

Terry.
I had the same problem. Car in the public carpark, trailer on the site Eventually got the trailer towed out through about 9 inches of mud by a friendly Fergie driver .
As Terry says, Saturday was good.
Ian
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th July 2012, 08:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Stanley

We were palnning on going to Melford today but after a tip off from a mate who advised me that the show was cancelled we spent a throughly enjoyable day on the Epping Ongar Railway.

Sorry the weather put pay to Long Melford show and that the sun shines next year.... it was only 2 years ago when we steamed the S4 there we had to go very steady due to tinder dry conditions.... what a difference.

Thanks for potsing the pictures John, it looked to have been a great show.

Jim
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th July 2012, 09:30 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Garwood

Was a bit wet. A big thanks to everyone involved. The organisers who put so much effort in to make a great show. The helpers who worked so hard (the last of the signs are coming down tomorrow morning so my lad tells me - hes off to help at 8.00am) the exhibitors who all helped and sat patiently. Great show and great people.

I found it quite funny in a way. I spent all day Saturday trying to get onto the field with the roller, then all day Sunday trying to get off. The fergie proved useful again and it was great watching the old & new working hard.

I just hope the site proves ok and the finiancial loss isn't too bad in the end. A great show. Roll on next year, I missed not getting sunburnt as I have the last 4 or 5 years.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th July 2012, 12:17 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Frank Wurth

I see all these reports of rained out shows and can't help but think, so thats where all the rain has gone! Over here (across the pond) in the midwest we cannot get rain to save ourselves! It hasn't rained in any significant amount in the past 7 weeks, temps the last 3 weeks have ranged in the upper 90s to highs of 107. May not even have a crop to harvest this fall. Worst I've seen in my time. F.J.W.