Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson
Default Somerset Steam and Country Show 2015

Pictures taken at Langport on Saturday 18th July:

http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/...kindexlp15.htm
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2015, 09:05 PM
stefan mlynek

I think that the 'Show Reports' section of this forum should be a members honest thoughts about an event that he has attended rather than just a selection of photos. So, at the risk of upsetting another TT member, here are my thoughts.
We originally planned to go to Masham last weekend but decided, instead, to go to the Langport rally, one which we have supported for more than 10 years, during which time the rally has had some very difficult times.
To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement. The steam section was very small; in the past we have had a decent fairground with two or three significant showmans engines in attendance. This year one or two fairground rides and the only showmans was a pretend one.
Lots of classic cars and tractors and, of course, loads of trade stands. After 2 hours I phoned my wife to come and pick me up.
Of course, I should have expected this. After all, what used to be the Somerset Steam Spectacular is now the Somerset Steam and Country Show.
But please, don't think this is just me; check out the comments made by the only other TTer who has commented, International Steam.
As said, we have supported this event for more than 10 years. But in 2016, Masham here we come.
Stef.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2015, 10:47 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

Steph, I don't know what the financial health of the Somerset club is, but I would imagine that it hasn't had enough good years of late for it to be to good

What I do know is that it costs serious money in expenses to put on a show with a larger number of engines

The fairs also seem to want paying to attend as well as they want to keep all the take on the rides

If a club or society has taken big losses in the past they need to cut the cloth to suit, better that than no event at all the following year
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 07:00 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Mark Gliddon

Looking at it from both sides I did find the event not to be what is was years ago, but I wouldn't want to be organization trying to deal with all the red tape, coatings etc involved with an event of the size, I'm just glad its still going.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 07:19 AM
stefan mlynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4040 View Post
Steph, I don't know what the financial health of the Somerset club is, but I would imagine that it hasn't had enough good years of late for it to be to good

What I do know is that it costs serious money in expenses to put on a show with a larger number of engines

The fairs also seem to want paying to attend as well as they want to keep all the take on the rides

If a club or society has taken big losses in the past they need to cut the cloth to suit, better that than no event at all the following year
Yes Adrian,
Having attended this event for the last 10 years I am well aware that this Club has probably suffered financially more than any other in the South West. And we all know that if receipts fall one year there will be less to pay in attendance money the next year.
But my rally programmes show that in that whole period the decline in steam exhibits has been quite dramatic.
Like many others on here I spend a good deal of time and money travelling back and forth across the country supporting our steam clubs and the steam movement in general. All I expect in return is to be entertained and to come away feeling that I've had value for my investment.
If what I saw on Saturday is the best that a steam club can offer to celebrate a major anniversary I fear for the future of this event.
I'm sure you'll pull out all the stops for WESES 60th in a couple of weeks time.
Stef.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 07:42 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Pat O'Donovan

I was at the Somerset rally over the weekend. I found the place had a lovely family atmosphere. A huge effort was put in to the rally by so few willing helpers. The Somerset Traction Engine Club have a beautiful site and I'm sure as time, finances and weather allow the event will continue to improve. Coming from Southern Ireland, I will be putting this one on my list for the future.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 10:23 AM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

I must admit, as an exhibitor I pick and choose, I've not been to a recognised steam rally yet this year with my engine. But am booked into two later in the year.

Nevertheless we have had loads of fun, and done loads of road miles as usual.

I like shows with little hassle and the opportunity to have fun. A show for me is a means to an end, a reason so that I can drive my engine somewhere. Personally speaking being on 'show' when I get there is a negative. Aggravation with passes, little men with clipboards checking this and that, and being shouted at to do this and not do that by nazis in hi vis are big turn offs.

I am beginning to believe that the future of some society run steam rallies may be numbered in their current format, and they may have to morph into something else to remain viable. We are seeing the beginning of this the last couple of years with the return to 'Country Fairs'

The larger shows, really do put on a good 'show' for the punters, and I can see why punters may complain about lesser shows. This is difficult but I can see both sides. The trouble is there are economies of scale, so the larger shows can offer better value for money.

What does the future hold?, in my opinion probably the opposite of what Stefan would hope for. For the last couple of years, perhaps longer, I have heard murmurings that ''the best part of show'' was what the engine owners and their friends did off their own back, off site on the Saturday evening. i.e they went to the pub/chinese blah blah.

With this in mind I can see more 'private' events, that is a couple of local engines (or more) meeting up at a mutually convenient location, likely a public location (usually a pub) for a good time. Then they go home, or perhaps a private location nearby for the evening. If you know about it/invited you get to join in, if you don't you cant. I went to such an event a fortnight ago, going to another this weekend.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:41 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Adam Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
I must admit, as an exhibitor I pick and choose, I've not been to a recognised steam rally yet this year with my engine. But am booked into two later in the year.

Nevertheless we have had loads of fun, and done loads of road miles as usual.

I like shows with little hassle and the opportunity to have fun. A show for me is a means to an end, a reason so that I can drive my engine somewhere. Personally speaking being on 'show' when I get there is a negative. Aggravation with passes, little men with clipboards checking this and that, and being shouted at to do this and not do that by nazis in hi vis are big turn offs.

I am beginning to believe that the future of some society run steam rallies may be numbered in their current format, and they may have to morph into something else to remain viable. We are seeing the beginning of this the last couple of years with the return to 'Country Fairs'

The larger shows, really do put on a good 'show' for the punters, and I can see why punters may complain about lesser shows. This is difficult but I can see both sides. The trouble is there are economies of scale, so the larger shows can offer better value for money.

What does the future hold?, in my opinion probably the opposite of what Stefan would hope for. For the last couple of years, perhaps longer, I have heard murmurings that ''the best part of show'' was what the engine owners and their friends did off their own back, off site on the Saturday evening. i.e they went to the pub/chinese blah blah.

With this in mind I can see more 'private' events, that is a couple of local engines (or more) meeting up at a mutually convenient location, likely a public location (usually a pub) for a good time. Then they go home, or perhaps a private location nearby for the evening. If you know about it/invited you get to join in, if you don't you cant. I went to such an event a fortnight ago, going to another this weekend.
The gradual drift towards 'Country Shows' and 'Vintage Shows' I think is also an indicator that whilst steam is a draw, it is no longer sufficient to bung a load of engines in a field and expect people to pay to see them. The majority of the more successful shows offer a broad range of exhibits and entertainment, a more all round package if you will.

This I think will in time lead to reduced expenses for steam and other exhibits which will increase the private do's as you say where you spend your money and do what you want, rather than spending money getting to an event to do as you are told

This isn't to say steam is not a draw any more I just think it isn't THE draw as it once was.
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 11:44 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson
Default Somerset Steam and Country Show

Since I started this thread and was mentioned above, can I have my pennyworth?

I am well aware that for every rally / show we attend, many people have put in many, many hours of unpaid hard work and any criticism I make in my reports does try to be constructive. I hope anyone involved in the Somerset Show will not take this personally. Size isn't everything, it's all about making the most of the limited resources available and using a bit of imagination. Yes, once you reach a critical mass, it becomes rather easier and events like Onslow Park and Welland in my area are magnificent spectacles. However, the fact is that some smaller events seem to have that extra 'sparkle' and for me that revolves around what use they make of the steam engines. Marcle this weekend for me had it just right as there were two saw benches, steam ploughing and steam threshing. In 10 days time, Torbay will offer something similar, I doubt the people putting on these displays will have been paid a fortune. These two and the Somerset Show will have had a similar number and range of steam engines in attendance. I am not going to name names, but in the last two years while we have never failed to enjoy a visit, there have been those events which could 'try harder' and those which the rally inspectors would rate as 'excellent'.

In Gloucestershire this past weekend there was stiff competition for the family pound, 150,000 attended the Fairford Airshow and 150,000 a Food Festival in Gloucester Quays. It's the same everywhere else and our rallies cannot afford to relax and have to adapt. I'm not really very interested in tractors, buses, trucks and the like but if they bring in the punters and allow other kinds of enthusiasts their moment in the (hoped for) sun, that's fine by me. However, any event which includes 'steam' in its name has to produce something special and that means more than a row of shiny engines and a quick whirl round the arena.

And indeed a veteran engine owner said to me at the weekend that the best part of a rally was roading his engine to and fro...
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:27 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Stanley

The problem is with lots of the country show type events now is that you sit on your peg and boil water all day and you get bollocked if you even think about moving. Whilst all this is going on there are monster trucks etc. in the main ring.... or if you are lucky enough to go to Barleylands Peppa Pig.. or some dolly bird from Frozen.... To be honest a steam up and a trundle round the local roads combined with a local smaller village fair events are much more fun.

Jim

Jim