Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th July 2010, 08:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Kearley

I was there for most of Friday. I did notice less engines than before but put that down to it being opening day. The layout was different but seemed ok, the woodyard was in full swing from 10.00am which was very good too.

I am looking to take my engine there next year as i have visited for some years but only now got something to take. I gather from reading this thread that there was some 'unpleasantness'?? is this likely to threaten the show, i hope not as it is one of my favourites.
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 17th July 2010, 08:37 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: william shepherd

this was one of my favorites too, but over the years things have changed for the bad. Thats my opinion and its not the same, to me its getting worse as the years go by. Ive been going there for about 20 years and its NOT as good as its beeen in the past. I was told today that one engine turned up, unloaded and then changed his mind and went back to his loader and left.
  #23  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th July 2010, 07:30 AM
Engineer

Full Name: David Kearley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill53uk View Post
I was told today that one engine turned up, unloaded and then changed his mind and went back to his loader and left.
This is very disappointing, i cant imagine unloading then reloading and leaving, what could have changed to make it THAT bad??

I hope its not the death of another rally, i have seen plenty of great local shows go to the ground, soon they will all be out of travelling distance.

Dave
  #24  Post / In Thread 
Old 18th July 2010, 09:37 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Chris Rhodes

we went friday and enjoyed it, plenty of room to ride about and enjoy yourself on your engine, not as many engines as there were in 2000 but a better lay out.

Chris.
  #25  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th July 2010, 08:33 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Davis View Post
I think there are a few new people bringing engines this year, so it will make a change from just the regulars.

I always enjoy it, I should go and make your own mind up rather than listening to hearsay from others.

I must say I thought you had been to Weeting before Stuart!!??
i have been before, once with the Long Shop and then when Kim used to drive Strumpshaws burrell, but i've never with my own engine, so i've never had to worry about coal allowances, getting paid etc. - that's always been someone elses worry!
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th July 2010, 11:21 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Hart

As a follo up, here's a pic of our engine driving a Tullos drum, probably for the first time in the northern hemisphere!
  #27  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th July 2010, 12:13 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Alex Ollett

Visited yesterday, quite enjoyed meself, didn't slap enough sun cream on though!
Not sure how many engines where there, but looked like a good turn out, lots of miniatures too, show ground did seem a bit spread out, not sure if that was planned or somethings not turned up..don't know about the politics, but long may Weeting continue.

~Alex~
  #28  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th July 2010, 04:28 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael Pumfrey

I attended Weeting and had a very nice weekend. I'm really not sure it's a good thing if an event stays exactly the same for 15 years as some of you would seem to wish, the nature of these events and what the paying public expect is changing all the time.

I find it very unlikely someone just "changed their mind and left" - sounds like the sort of story the nay-sayers would love!

There have been certain issues over appearance money in the past, but at the end of the day if a Rally tells you you're unlikely to get paid, and it's that big a problem, don't go! Don't attend the rally and then bitch and moan afterwards. It's a good way to sort the enthusiasts from the wallet-chasers!
  #29  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st July 2010, 06:01 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Barber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin Foden View Post
We'll be there, always a good weekend!

I believe there are some different engines coming this year too...
We made the treck over there with a few friends and it was well worth it. Everyone involved made us very welcome and it was great to see a large number of engines that we never normally see, including the museum's Burrell Showmans. The setting is superb....

We also nipped down to the museum to take 2336 back to the works for what I believe to be the first time since she left 110 years ago. All involved at the museum and at Mr Parrott's farm were more than helpful in assisting us, with the museum opening especially and arranging a photographer. Here's one of my amateur shots..

#30  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th July 2010, 01:41 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: paul coupland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespeterbrett View Post
Firstly, I harbor no grudge mine or anyone else’s! Secondly this I have attended for several years, and enjoy the show. With the constraint of tightening our belt this year, and wanting to spend more time with my girlfriend, Weeting was just one of several shows that unfortunately we decided we would give a miss this year. I feel my phrase is justified, and accurate in regards to several people I know. Personally, I have never been treated there anything other than very well.

At the risk of sounding rude, may I say "personal remarks" such as yours are not needed and didn’t need to be "blasted out" it is irrelevant to the discussion in hand. However points (good or bad) regarding shows are what is needed, and your input is valued.

my remarks regarding the weather is just what the forecast has been saying, and looks like all use silly sods out and about this weekend in the east are going to get wet at some time.

As regards to good luck, I would never wish any show anything except that! Regardless of who’s organizing, what the course is, when it is, where it is or weather I’m going or not.

I will say this for Weeting, it harbors a unusual and possibly unique thing, in regards to its working area, if for nothing else, Weeting rally is worth a visit for this alone, with features such as a wood yard with steam wood sawing being done amongst the trees, steam flour milling, seed hulling, chaff cutting, bailing, and threshing. all being done here, with the two large stationary boilers with their various stationary steam engines close by, and not to mention the full size standard gauge railway (all know the name "mainline" is perhaps a bit over ambitious) with working steam saddle tank engine, and wagons being shunted about. Also a chance to photograph several engines that really make an appearance, indeed several are only steamed at Weeting events.
No james the real reason you didnt go is that you wasnt ask to help this year as we had a full team on foden protable and ploughing engines. Oh and you have only been twice!

and my old mate Dan is right. was good days when you and your father used to come when we was in the old field when there was 100+ engines there good times by all,