Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#31  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 08:34 PM
Banned

Full Name: Tom Bowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJT View Post
For me the number of full size engines present was pretty good, especially given the financial position we're all in these days!

The bigger issue is the direction the society is taking the rally. We are losing the very thing we want to see - steam engines doing what they do best. Although some engines were moving around the Stithians site it was a nightmare for their crews. Everything is so cramped and congested. The working area was small and limited in what could be demonstrated.

I feel the scope of the rally had changed for the worse. We've lost context with too many unrelated activities. For example a large area of the site dedicated to 4 x 4 displays and a large area for a motorbike display team. What have these to do with a vintage rally?
Similarly I feel there are too many commercial vehicles, cars and tractors for what should primarily be a steam rally. All are beautifully restored and a credit to their owners but they are out of context - many very few years old and certainly not from the era and age of steam.
Heavy horses and rural craft displays are great because they are contemporary with the steam age.

The fair too missed the point. At a vintage rally this should have rides from that bygone age, not modern rides!

I think a return to basics is what's needed no matter where the rally is held.

Lastly, what about a site owned by the society? I throw this into the ring without any idea of all the implications of such an idea - I freely admit that :-)
Such a site could be developed and landscaped using the very machines so many members own. Possibly the land could then also be used for other events throughout the year.
Probably a crazy idea but then there are lots of us crazy folk out there.

Mike

Sent from my PIPO Max M1 using Tapatalk4
Not a crazy idea but one that uses intellect and vision, sadly both are in short supply. I am trying to do the same with my 25 year development Plan for Ivybridge as I am the Lead Councillor for the Neighbourhood Plan. Nowadays there are too many people who say "can't be done" and not enough saying "it's never been done before so let's give it a try!"
  #32  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 09:37 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jacob Kistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttp2011 View Post
Not a crazy idea but one that uses intellect and vision, sadly both are in short supply. I am trying to do the same with my 25 year development Plan for Ivybridge as I am the Lead Councillor for the Neighbourhood Plan. Nowadays there are too many people who say "can't be done" and not enough saying "it's never been done before so let's give it a try!"
It's been done, welland own they're ground
  #33  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 10:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Adrian Menear

Thank you for all your comments and views, but the reality is that had the event been at the old site over the last four years, I imagine we would now be almost bankrupt as per CTPC.

Three of the last four years at Stithians would have no doubt have been all but cancelled if the event was still at the St Agnes site. The society have done the best they can with limited budgets etc but unfortunately they have no control over the weather.
At the end of the day the general public cover the costs, so the society have introduced many other attractions to hopefully entice them to attend and help cover these costs.

On a plus point, I believe that those that I have been involved with over the weekend enjoyed it and feedback from the public that I know, and others I don’t know was positive.

Personally, I liked the top field at St Agnes, but at the time it was being slagged off for being a static rally with no engine movement other than going in to the ring. I guess this may have been a reason to move to the lower field at the time........... and then the big loses started due to the poor weather conditions.

In a perfect world it would it would be where it was, with good weather thrown in.

These are changing times, the society, rightly or wrongly is trying to move with them.

Some of the comments here do surprise me as I know you are barely old enough to remember the bottom field let alone the top field at St Agnes!

Please note, this is my personal view, not the societies.
  #34  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2013, 02:10 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Douglas Hynd

Well despite the nay sayers I really enjoyed the weekend and thank you and the team for making us welcome.

I have been to the top field and the bottom at St Agnes and yes they were nice, but only in a dry year. I can see the advantages of the new site...but the shame is, it is off the beaten track so you do not get passing trade so much. Maybe a smaller less ambious rally, but with less dependance on weather is a more sustainable long term solution.

Thanks again.

Douglas
  #35  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2013, 02:46 PM
Admin / Mod

Full Name: David Collidge

Hollowell own their own site too and like Welland they put on a very successful event, although in all reality the rally has probably become too popular for the size of their site. Pickering too, but that is a different story.

We all know the issue with buying your own site, the bank manager is going to want to see income over the last 5 to 10 years and when he sees it declining I don't think it matters how much intellect and vision you have.
  #36  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2013, 05:00 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Tim Watson

I know the British weather is very fickle, but certain weekends do seem to attract bad rain. Perhaps consider an earlier date in August? Would it be worth looking at the records? My experience of Cornwall is that the inland areas do seen to get bad weather from both directions.

I would love to see the WESES rally successful again, but I haven't warmed to the Stithians site.

Tim
  #37  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2013, 05:11 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Robin Marshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4040 View Post

Some of the comments here do surprise me as I know you are barely old enough to remember the bottom field let alone the top field at St Agnes!

Please note, this is my personal view, not the societies.
Not sure if this was meant at me or not! Comments like this dont really help the younger members on this forum feel very welcome! Everyone is entitled to an opinion! Good or bad!

P.s If it was meant at me! I have been to 15 years of WESES events, both at St Agnes and at Stithians! Not too bad considering I am only 21, and my family have supported them even though we live over 250 miles away!
  #38  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd August 2013, 06:41 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Steven Syms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fowler_Man View Post
Someone tried holding a rally there before, it failed
Not quite true Jake, the Cornish traction preservation club had its biggest gate ever at the royal cornwall showground, over 8,000. Too many ground restrictions forced the club to leave that site.

Steve
  #39  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd August 2013, 06:44 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Charles Daniel

And I assume that it is ground restrictions that control the layout of the show at Stithians, and this is what makes it disjointed.

The much reduced working section this year was again at the opposite side of the site to the engine yard and more than anything there is no adequate main ring. The main ring was where the rally happened, the commentator communicated with and entertained the public and exhibitors alike.
On another topic modern PA systems seem to be very loud but directional; at another rally our caravan was in a direct line with a speaker and the volume was annoying to say the least, ten yards either side of the speaker there seemed to be no sound at all.

Charlie D
  #40  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd August 2013, 09:12 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4040 View Post

Personally, I liked the top field at St Agnes, but at the time it was being slagged off for being a static rally with no engine movement other than going in to the ring. I guess this may have been a reason to move to the lower field at the time........... and then the big loses started due to the poor weather conditions.

I.
Adrian, I would suggest that this was because of the attitude of a few of the committee members! Certainly I was one year told to stop driving an engine around & go back to the line up !