Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > For-Sale Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

For-Sale Adverts Steam items and equipment For Sale.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th August 2008, 02:44 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Anthony Coulls
Default Ruston Proctor Portable

On behalf of a non TT friend who says:

"Ruston Proctor 7 1/2 NHP piston valve single. 1913

The portable is one I bought via Tuxfords about three years ago. I bought it because I have a great interest in wood-burning steam, and this one has a huge 'colonial' firebox which looks like it would steam on a garden bonfire.

It is a piston valve single.

Like all the ex-South American engines it looks like it has had a hard life. Having said that it is very largely complete. Missing big end bearing and strap, pump rod bearing, one of the two Salter s/v balances, one of the two crankshaft bearing caps, blowdown valve, pressure gauge and whistle. I think that's it. I don't like the look of the pump; it is there but has several past repairs.

I had a new one of the little brass makers plates cast for it - as you do!

It has the lovely ornate Ruston Proctor 'nameplate' cylinder cover.

I initially found a number on it which I thought was the engine number. I then got in touch with Ray Hooley who is, as you may know, the source of all knowledge on things Ruston, this is his reply -

"I have been able to track down your portable. No.38587 is the boiler number. This led me to the engine number, 47319, a class '320', Mk 'L', rated 7.5hp - sold on 9.7.1913 to agents:- Saavedra, Bernard & Co. I can supply copies of Instruction Manual, Illustrated Parts List and Specification for 22 pounds. I can also supply 13"-high shield-shape boiler transfers for 20 pounds each (one worn each side of the boiler.

I got it and soaked it in oil. I then moved it to a dry store at Malton N.Yorks where it has been since.

The boiler and outer wrapper look good, but I have not had it inspected. The inner box is utterly past it. I wouldn't bother to keep the smokebox tubeplate either. The smokebox and door is a later poor replacement. Unfortunately it has not got the Ruston Procter smokebox door boss, although Duncan Pittock at Colchester (we have corresponded, but not met) has two to copy from.

There is a fully restored example of the class apparently in Italy, and an identical one (in the same condition) in Shropshire. I don't know of any others.

I am asking 3k which doesn't seem much above scrap value."

Please PM me for contact details for the vendor and photos which I can send via e-mail
Cheers
Anthony
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st September 2008, 07:20 PM
Engineer

Engine still available
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th November 2008, 09:18 PM
Engineer

And still available