Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2013, 07:50 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Colin Melvyn Harris
Default Coventry Transport Festival

An excellent weekend showing off the engines to a very appreciative crowd. The sun shone for much of the time and there were some amazing cars to see. Other items were an areoplane engine on a trailer which created a sound you could hear in your chest when it was run up. Two spitfires gave a short display and 6 engines roaded in to the event. Two Burrells, a roller and a road haulage engine; a Garrett tractor; two Aveling rollers and Pedler. The organisers are hoping for more steam next year. I would recommend this FREE event to anyone interested in transport.

#2  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2013, 08:43 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Sam Brandist

Thanks for the report, Colin. Saw a few Vintage Buses around Coventry yesterday. Great to see Pedler in action again, she looks like a strong engine! Cheers, Sam
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2013, 09:22 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Barham

Hi Colin Thanks for report & photo's, my camera batteries were dead.
I did see you perched Hi up on the trailer, wasn't sure if you were going to stay there as you started off eek:
As you can guess I arrived late, I enjoyed the visit though definately one for next year, As I left i noticed Angelina receiving some attention in a lay by, hope it wasn't serious.
Bit of a nostalgia trip with the old Daimler buses, I may well have taken one of them to work or to the pub. Oh and the GCCG stand was interesting, along with the motorcycle stands.
Had a look at the Coventry Corporation Roller, My first memory of road steam was of a Roller in Hastings Road in about 1957, I thought it to be a larger Aveling, but then I was a lot smaller. Does anyone know what steam rollers were in the fleet in 1957, I seem to remember it having a canopy. Could have been a private contractor. What colours would they have been painted as a lot of Corporation vehicles were maroon. Anyway keep us updated on engine movements, one of these days i might manage to be early As an aside, I took a wander around Back Lane, the site where Fowler Berkswell stood is a bit more overgrown than it was
Rog
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2013, 08:50 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Colin Melvyn Harris

Angelina did not like the steam coal, we were emptying the ash pan, cleaning the tubes, injecting water and making up the fire for the next stint. Pedler was just the opposite, with 2 1/4'' tubes the small coal did not stay long in the firebox, we left most of it alongside the road as it was ejected from the chimney in the form of fine dust. It helped by keeping her in 'expansion mode' as often as possible to reduce the blast.