Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th September 2014, 08:06 AM
Engineer

Full Name: G Townsend
Default WW1 Steam Event Staffordshire 12th, 13th 14th September

I will be attending this event next weekend, Taking WD Foden 6216 for the 3 day event, which is mainly focused on the role that the narrow gauge railways played during WW1. There will also be Marshall Steam tractor owned by Hedd Jones. I'm sure this is going to be a brilliant weekend, a lot of time and money has gone into organising it, and they are trying to be as close as possible to how the trenches and railways worked. Shame it's the same weekend as Bedford unfortunately.

www.ww1-event.org

See you there.

A ROLLER it was built, a ROLLER it will stay!

Aveling 8727 restoration thread
http://www.tractiontalkforum.com/showthread.php?t=26565
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th September 2014, 08:28 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Anthony Coulls

Good to see you today Graham, I thought it was very well put together and well worth the trip down from up north. My favourite shot:

If anyone is in doubt, GO - you won't see a collection like this again
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th September 2014, 06:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Some from me.

Superb doo, so much to see and learn.

There is a field full of re-enactors, british and frog. More Simplex's than you could shake a stick at, horses, machine guns, tank etc. Its ace.

#4  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th September 2014, 06:40 PM
Engineer

Full Name: :

Was contemplating whether to pop over tomorrow - I understand the roller's landlord has been over there playing with the ex-Hem Heath Tinsley winding engine today. I haven't seen that since they've reunitied the drum with engine a month or two ago.
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th September 2014, 06:51 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mine Explorer View Post
Was contemplating whether to pop over tomorrow - I understand the roller's landlord has been over there playing with the ex-Hem Heath Tinsley winding engine today. I haven't seen that since they've reunitied the drum with engine a month or two ago.
Is this the contraption that looks like the buissines end of a paddlesteamer?
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 13th September 2014, 07:08 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
Is this the contraption that looks like the buissines end of a paddlesteamer?

Lol - possibly!

The engine part was displayed at Onslow for a number of years. Back in the year dot (1999 ish?) it was unloaded and sat on the grass, but all the subsequent years it was displayed on a flat-bed artic trailer. They'd have it coupled to a chuffin' big portable compressor that would just about get it to tick over slowly.

The Trust lent it to Apedale for display purposes a couple of years ago (2010 I think), but the winding drum that is associated with it (which I think that weighs 20t on its own if I remember rightly) only went over and got bolted back together with it at the beginning of August this year.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th September 2014, 05:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andrew Bradbury

Best event I have been to this year.

Hopefully it will be repeated at some point as those who missed it truly missed out.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th September 2014, 06:37 PM
Engineer

Having gone along today I also have to say what a good time I had, but that wasn't without a certain amount of trepidation in advance.

I confess that I'm not altogether totally convinced by the sudden rush this year to jump on the "oh what a wonderful war" band waggon that seems to trivialise the whole concept into a family friendly fun day which has seen numerous attempts to 'rebuild' battlefields squeezed between the icecream stall and kids face painting. In that vein I also wasn't too sure by today's frequent tannoy announcements "...not to miss the gas attack on the trenches due to take place in 10 minutes..."

Ok, I accept I'm probably in a minority for feeling this way about the many "commemorations" this year, but it would be equally wrong to focus on this aspect of the event, as there was much more to see than just the reconstructed trenchs.

The Moseley Railway Trust/Apedale Light Railway have clearly gone to a lot of effort in preparation for this weekend's gala. Their adjoining land has had a good sort since my last visit a few years ago, and now forms a valuable event display space.

An extensive network of siding and lightly laid jubilee track has been (and appears to continue to be) laid around the site. In this instance giving the impression of the many light railway systems used to supply the front line troops during the war, but such track would have been equally at home in many industrial and extractive industries back home as well.

Despite heaving with visitors it was possible to take photos of nice little cameos for those so inclined, and with things constantly happening and moving around opportunities were also changing. For the 'family' element there was a frequent programme of events taking place in the display arena - understandably all of a military theme with various donkey whalloping displays by men with sharp things and noisy banging.

One aspect that many steam rally organisers could learn a thing or two about would be the attitude to 'safety'. As mentioned, the gala took place on and around a network of sidings, points and trackwork which saw constant use all through the day. None of this was fenced and no stewards were needed to 'guard' the movements. Visitors were treated as sensible human beings and expected to be aware of what was happening around them when near the tracks, locomotive klaxons could be used if the drivers needed to draw people's attention, or else the more effective audible warning of shouting "GET OUTTA WAY!". I wasn't aware of a constant stream of ambulances carrying the injured away to hospital so this approach seems to have been appropriate and effective for both the rail and road vehicle movements.

The majority of movements were undertaken by an extensive fleet of Simplex locomotives, whether that was taking troops to the front line trench, shunting ammunition or moving stretchers. The more substantially laid track was used by a selection of appropriate steam locos which could be seen shunting and handing over to the Simplexes. I've no doubt many these days would think narrow gauge railways and locos were built specifically to haul quaint carriages of tourists on rides, so it was good to see shunting and movement of freight. The railway's 'main line' was kept occupied elsewhere on the train ride stuff, leaving the event field free to play uninterrupted by the commercial realities of running a modern railway.

Rather than the usual preponderance of "BR" era overalls, which often seem to proliferate even on narrow gauge and ex-industrial railways these days, the railway has invested in a job lot of British Army costumes which meant the manoeuvres had a more appropriate look to them, with no high-vis clothing visible at all.

Overall I have to say it was a most enjoyable day and I ended up staying somewhat longer than I initially thought I might.

...clearly anything beats driving a Foden!
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th September 2014, 07:42 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Les Riley

We also visited today and agree that the railway, and the mine put on a very good show. Your photos make it look deserted (well done!) because it was anything but. People we spoke to had travelled in some cases a great distance for the event.
We live 2 miles away so don't fall into that category but it was worth a journey if you had to.
Apparently, they are to leave the trenches for the four years of 'the war' and more events will follow.

Les
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th September 2014, 08:11 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by staffordshirechina View Post
...Your photos make it look deserted (well done!) because it was anything but...
Indeed - it was packed out with people, so hopefully the organisers have safely covered their costs.

Shots devoid of visitors (or at least so they're very much in the far distance) just requires patience and being prepared to wait until that moment when you get a clear view.
...or else finding quiet corners whilst something more interesting is drawing everyone else's interest elsewhere!