Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 04:00 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Tony Seddon

Interesting to hear constructive comments. Doubtless they will be considered as many of the committee are on here.
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 05:31 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Bramwell

One of the highlights of this show is it's playpen and I for sure really missed it .
The ploughing / cultivating area was the next best thing but considering how far the engines were from this location it probably wasn't practical to have the same amount of engines as last year having a go with the log trailer
The threshing display was good to see especially while working .
As I love taking photographs at these events it's a bit disappointing when stood around the arena with all the ropes/ fences even though I realise they are there for a reason which makes a playpen a good substitute in my opinion .
Still one of the best shows on the calendar

Dave
  #23  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 05:48 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

I was told off by an officials son, for movement without a steward. we have had movement for a few years doing what I was with no problem, and the other thing I found odd was whilst being shouted and cursed at, not pleasantly, several tractors with people trains on drove past all without a steward.

I think a lot of the issue last night with getting out was the left hand lane was grass and rather muddy, so anything heavy was wanting to stay on the hard standing, as much as possible, I know we were.
  #24  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 05:53 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Barham

Dave, In what capacity was the "officials son" telling you off, or if shouting & swearing, just being rude?
  #25  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 06:31 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Worthington

Nice Portable in the working field anybody got more pics?
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 06:36 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Nick Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by International Steam View Post
I make a point of coming and going using the Welshpool side although it involves a significant diversion. I am sure other regulars have worked this out too but it's unrealistic to expect casual visitors to do the same and if many more people did this then there would be chaos in the surrounding lanes.

As for entry, a complete rethink of the site is needed, the entry point has to be moved nearer the by-pass and more entry lanes put in place.
I would class myself as a 'local' and always head towards Welshpool as it is so much easier. As an aside here, having operated the car park at Onslow about 10 years ago I can say that I do not envy the people branded by many as 'little hitlers' who have the awful job of organising joe public. I lost track of the people who seemed to think I was keeping spaces nearer the entrance for my 'mates' or doing the job to get some perverse gratification by making life difficult for other people despite the obvious

When my then girlfriend was deliberately aimed at and almost run over by a muppet in a disco I decided I'd never do it again.

However, with regard to the whole 'steward' situation. Why does Onslow require an army of hi-viz wearing cadets to keep the public clear from being run over (again having done it in the past a thankless task)? Yet despite this the few engine movements I saw on Sunday had little in the way of any 'banksman' whatsoever? I did ask some years ago but never really got a reply other than 'insurance'. If that is the case then how do events like Cerney, Malpas and Welland cope?

I don't want to sound negative as I do love Onslow, especially the working field, demonstrations (although a road making one would be nice) and the playpen (when it is roller friendly), but I do feel it needs a bit of a rethink instead of the 'well, we have always done it like that' attitude.

Most of my photos were shot on film so I haven't got much to post up but I might do when it get them back from the developer.
  #27  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 06:43 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Barry Job

Just to add my comments:- In terms of exhibits this is a great show, the Tanner's Reunion was a master stroke and the working field must be one of the best anywhere, the programme is excellent; well done to all concerned.
In terms of the queue on the road to get in, the queue to pay, the queue to get through the entry gate once paid, the queue to get off the parking field.... . This is nothing new and for it to continue year after year is nothing short of a disgrace.
Barry.
  #28  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 07:25 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Paulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidner View Post
I understand that the playpen will be back in a sensible position again next year . A lot of fresh thinking and some investment needs to be put into the entry , pay and exit arrangements . In other countries there would have been a riot . But apart from that a magnificent show .

£1 concession is a poor sort of joke .
However Methuselah gets in free and you are not quite as old as he.

The comments about the pay gate have got to be spot on. That is simply abusing your supporters and the people who keep you going.
  #29  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 07:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

I agree with Barry, the Tanners Reunion was excellent. Speaking to various people it went down well with many of the punters who were from the border farming community.

For me I have to say I continue to be impressed with the way it is run, no hassle no fuss, I cant say I felt over stewarded, not even when we steam tractor boys were mud plugging at speed in order to get in the ring on the Monday, whats more there were lots of tractors provided by the society for pulling stuck tack out today.

Yes I heard the grumbles about the ques, but this year was odd. A forecast that promised a midling day on the sunday and a terrible one on Monday meant that more or less everyone who wanted to visit the show did so on Sunday, you cannot cater for two days punters in one.

A show that gets consistently gets so many punters that they are watching the grand parade 5 and 6 deep like they were on Sunday are not doing a lot wrong!.

We had a smashing time with some super people. I met so many people that I was beginning to forget who people I had known for years were!.
  #30  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 07:36 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Paulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosiboz View Post
Some of my photos

A totally unnecessary full side on of two very unsavoury characters . Not a pretty picture at all.

A nice new Marshall Tractor to the county. A very pretty picture. Looks good in the flesh

BTW The first crew do not look good in the flesh