Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th September 2008, 05:21 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Tony Brown
Default Haddenham Rally

Well in a weekend that so many have been cancelled it is good to see that Haddenham soldiers on even in slightly muddy conditions.

Apart from the roadways the bulk of the ground is in reasonably good - thanks to the limited vehicle movement happening. Many vehicles were managing to get on and off under their own power and tractors were on hand to quickly help anything which got stuck.

The majority of the exhibitors seem to be there, in the steam section the major gap seems to be amongst the shinier ones with the kitchen appliances on the front - whether fear of the mud or electrocution has kept them away I don't know - but full credit to Keith Honour with Margaret in position and generating happily.

Amazingly - possibly a miracle according to some - Chris Brighty (D-Type) arrived yesterday on his roller still in DAYLIGHT, something previously unheard of as he normally prefers to move around East Anglia under the cover of darkness.

The vast majority of the trade stalls were there and open, one notable exception being the NTET stand which is there but not open. I understand the reasons for the volunteers decision but still think that it is a pity and that given a couple of days notice, I would have happily ran it for them since I'm there anyway.

Finally one mystery, why was Terry (injectorman) collecting so much straw this morning? Has he changed his model to a straw-burner or is he plotting mass sabotage of injectors to keep himself busy over the winter!

Tony
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th September 2008, 06:21 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Hugh Dyson

Hats off to the organisers keeping the show going. Plenty of tractors and putting down of bark chippings , my 4 year old has taken a shine to the Wall Of Death and wants to go again tomorrow. Can't understand why the NTET sales stand was shut all day (poor show) The other book seller selling steam and fairground books seemed to be doing well all day.
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th September 2008, 08:51 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Barham

Can only echo previous post. And Frequent Flyer I'm with your daughter on this one!
Managed to walk around site without boots an without getting muddy. Well thought ought path from car park make what could have been an ordeal..a stroll.
Some good original looking rollers there and an unusual Centre Flywheel Aveling with an interesting set up for cylinder block.
Anyway to tempt folks along tomorrow here's a few shot. Might go back tomorrow my self.
Cheers Well done to the organisers, those that brought exhibit and good luck tomorrow

This is entrance from car park grass is surprising firm and even the muddy bit is firm underneath I managed to traverse the muddy bit in light shoes by stepping in the tyre tracks, no problem.

The line up

Last edited by Roger; 6th September 2008 at 08:58 PM..
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th September 2008, 07:44 PM
Engineer

Well turned up today and it was chucking it down. I arrived lat but apparently turn out wasn't to bad. More or less everything that moved needed towing off. Still managed to get around without using boots! Few more pics

#5  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th September 2008, 07:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: david Lyon
Default What mud

I also visited on saturday, yes it was muddy, but i got around the site in light shoes without getting muddy. as the day progressed the ground started to dry out enough to walk around, but it was difficult for engines to move about un aided.
thanks to the organisers to actually run the show when lots of other events where cancelled,
Was sunday any better,
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th September 2008, 07:56 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by david lyon View Post
thanks to the organisers to actually run the show when lots of other events where cancelled,
Was sunday any better,
Weather-wise in a word, no, although there seemed to have been more people there. And yes thank to the organisers still a good event despite the weather.
Rog
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 7th September 2008, 09:14 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Lindsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenab View Post

Finally one mystery, why was Terry (injectorman) collecting so much straw this morning? Has he changed his model to a straw-burner or is he plotting mass sabotage of injectors to keep himself busy over the winter!

Tony

Terry (Srawcollecting injectorman) was collecting the straw to make a road way across the mire for us miniatures to make a dash to the ring. Saturday we made it with a little difficulty but today it was a real expedition with my roller only just making it to the area where lo and behold it rained again. The journey back involved an army of volunteers with shovels and ropes, Still we made it back and thanks to a friendly young Fergie driver we made it off the field and home.

In 24 consecutive Haddenham rallies i have never seen so much rain and mud. Our thanks to the committee and better luck next year.
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 12:03 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Hart

Some good original looking rollers there and an unusual Centre Flywheel Aveling with an interesting set up for cylinder block.

That's my old roller! Aveling 4877 of 1901. (YA 1975) Utterly useless (as she's a single speed) on even damp grass! Good to see the old girl being enjoyed my it new ( since oct 2006!) owners!

Watch out for the Ransomes next year!
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 12:32 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Christopher Brighty

I arrived on the roller at the main exhibitors gate a little after 7:00pm on Friday and could see that there was no way the roller would get past the gate. The enterence is a short but steep climb and mud had already replaced the grass. I was directed to the lower gate and was met by Michael who explained the plan; drop the trailer, pull forward and reverse in the gate and I would be pulled across the field. I managed around 20 yrds inside the field then the roller went wideways instead of backwards, time to stop! The trailer was pulled onto the field and across to the peg then the roller was collected. That run across the field, being pulled backwards, was strange; the steering became like a rudder so steering to the right moved the headstock to the left. Keeping the front roll heading straight meant the whole roller meandered behind the tractor and sometimes the rolls went around and others they just skidded. The whole train was turned around for the last leg of the voyage so that the roller was pushed onto the peg with the drawbar exposed ready for later extracation. Emerald Rose had arrived at the 2008 Haddenham Rally.

Although the weather and the ground underfoot were far from ideal, we enjoyed the rally very much.

I want to a very big THANK YOU to the rally organisers and volunteers for keeping everything moving especially on Sunday evening when much of the field was cleared, especially as almost everything had to be pulled off by tractor.

Having got stuck at both the rallies we attended this year, I am worried that I might get a bad reputation!

D-Type
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2008, 12:36 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Stanley

Had a great time at Haddenham, got soaked to the skin but thoroughly enjoyed watching engines getting stuck.
Full credit to the guys with the Fowler road engine, they were on a mission and only admitted after a great battle.
One of the most entertaining rallies of the year.

It was good to see my old roller "George" again. Messrs Copeman and Eagle take good care of her.

JS