Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th May 2014, 08:18 AM
Engineer

Full Name: shane venni

Why would a show let you attend for the days that you want to attend for.. They wouldn't have a clue who was turning up when and the public on the sat have paid and would like to see the same as the public on Monday. I don't personally know of any show that let's you turn up when you like.
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th May 2014, 01:09 PM
Engineer

Full Name: richard spooner

your view pal which I do not share, its only an opinion.

look at from my view point I have a very nice showman's engine that was not there because I could only commit to two days and not three. I sadly am still working and cannot get time off just as and when.

I take your point and agree but is it better to have some than non at all? That attitude will eventually help in killing the scene, we can all read here of the demise of shows and rallies, this will only help speed up that process. I already know of owners who will now only attend events close to home due to travel costs etc, this is just another issue.

Richard
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th May 2014, 02:05 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Hart

Quote:
Originally Posted by richspoo View Post

look at from my view point I have a very nice showman's engine that was not there because I could only commit to two days and not three. I sadly am still working and cannot get time off just as and when.

I take your point and agree but is it better to have some than non at all? That attitude will eventually help in killing the scene, we can all read here of the demise of shows and rallies, this will only help speed up that process. I already know of owners who will now only attend events close to home due to travel costs etc, this is just another issue.

Richard

I may be wrong but i thought the entry form had a section for deleteing days you couldnt attend? Did you actually send the form off to then be told you weren't invited?
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th May 2014, 03:02 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Garwood

Quote:

Richard
Not commenting on this instead itself, but i do not think shows are demising because of lack of exhibits. I think its more to do with additional work load on volenteers to put them on, coupled with reduction in green fields to hold them, coupled with the extra places Joe public can now go on Saturdays and Sundays. There is generally a long list of exhibitors for all the shows I know off. And given that Joe Public generally don't care if there are 10 full size and 10 models or 100 full size and 200 models I think shows like this can impose what ever rules they like. If you don't like it, don't go. If you have an issue over attendance days try privately contacting the organiser and see what they say. Politeness goes a long way and who knows what another year may bring.
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 29th May 2014, 10:47 PM
Engineer

Full Name: james peter brett
Location: Loddon, Norfolk & Nassington East Northamptonshire.

Quote:

Richard
Its done for several reasons

1 to control the numbers attending. Strumpshaw normally attracts around 50 model engines, I dear say they could have half as many again if they let engines attend only for one day as some model engine chaps I know will only do.

2 it makes things easier for the organizers if every one is onsite and booked in by 10am Saturday.

3 Makes things fairer, all exhibitors playing by the same rules.

4 the public come to see engines in steam, not a empty peg where a engine was yesterday or might be tomorrow

The best day at Strumpshaw for the Public is Sunday. Like most shows, the first day a lot of stuff dosnt seam to be working or fully set up until lunch time, and the last day when mid afternoon much stuff is being wound down or packed away. The Sunday, everything is on site for every one to see.

(When we preserve our heritage, we protect our future!)

Lord Brett, Bygones Manor, Chedgrave, Loddon, Norwich, Norfolk
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th May 2014, 06:32 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Wilkinson

what was the engine behind the wagon?
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th May 2014, 06:51 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Clive M. Fance

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00000 View Post
what was the engine behind the wagon?
Fowler 8334.
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th May 2014, 08:50 PM
Engineer

Their not Fowler front wheels!
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th May 2014, 10:07 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

They are this Fowler's front wheels , or at least , the front wheels on this Fowler .
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th May 2014, 11:21 PM
Engineer

Cor blimey Bob I never thought of that!