Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th August 2013, 12:21 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: karl butler

To be fair to Simon at least he is willing to give it a go. Its very easy to criticize from behind a keyboard, why not step up and give it a go, I am sure you will have a very different opinion. 1000s came to Pickering, some may be interested enough to get further involved. As an outsider looking in thats what you need, I have made the comment many times this year that rallies target audiences are literally dying out. Maybe a bit of support rather than criticism to people like Simon will keep as many rallies as possible commercially viable
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th August 2013, 09:54 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Craig Colledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamsec View Post
To be fair to Simon at least he is willing to give it a go. Its very easy to criticize from behind a keyboard, why not step up and give it a go, I am sure you will have a very different opinion. 1000s came to Pickering, some may be interested enough to get further involved. As an outsider looking in thats what you need, I have made the comment many times this year that rallies target audiences are literally dying out. Maybe a bit of support rather than criticism to people like Simon will keep as many rallies as possible commercially viable
I really don't know where to start with my reply on this tread. My late father and my late uncle were at the very first steam rally at Pickering. (probably Grandad was there aswell). I think it was 1954 or 1956 I'm not sure now what year they told me. I for one was not born at the time. During my lifetime I have been to a fare few Pickering Steam Rally's. I do remember when it was on the main road from Kirby Moorside to Pickering, Thonton lee dale road. I also remember the Castle Howard rally's. Simon in my opinion always did a good job when he got involved years ago, but now it has all gone to pot. I know Simon has had his problems with business in the last few years as have we all, but 2009 did it for me. I still miss going up north to Pickering, but Unfortunatley it will not happen again for me (once bitten, twice shy). I did talk to Simon after the 2009 incident and he blamed it on Arthur Harris. I then talked to Arthur Harris, who blamed it on Simon. (Who was right, I don't know). What really pi&&ed me off is that we used over £500 in derv for the lowloader, £120 in Maraidh,s camper and I spent around £1200 at the show. Certain people did get paid for there atendance, but we were not one of them. (there was a record crowd in 2009 with the camping also full). I now go to South Cerney, its a good rally, the money isn't great but we enjoy ourselves, we are always made welcome and we always get paid. I think if Pickering is to continue, Simon needs to get someone along side who is respected in the steam ferturnaty with good standing such as , Graham Atkinson, Richard Preston etc etc. to make it work and continue. Simon has done a lot for the rally, but what I have been told over the last few years, if its not sorted before long, it will be finished..........ps, steamsec I'm not criticising behind a keyboard, I would say this to Simon in person.
  #23  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th August 2013, 10:22 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: hopton

Here here thers always a good crowd but there's always a good magician when it comes to pay time
  #24  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th August 2013, 07:50 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Harris

I used to attended Pickering with the caravan as a member of the public for a period of about 10 years starting when it was run by the events office. Stopped going wit caravan about 3 years ago due to car failling MOT.
The first few years were great loads of engines well layed out showfield etc.
It seems to have gone down hill last few years agree maybe needs help with organisation from some Steam enthusiasts.
  #25  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th August 2013, 08:53 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Paul Fearnley

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigctt View Post
I really don't know where to start with my reply on this tread. My late father and my late uncle were at the very first steam rally at Pickering. (probably Grandad was there aswell). I think it was 1954 or 1956 I'm not sure now what year they told me. I for one was not born at the time. During my lifetime I have been to a fare few Pickering Steam Rally's. I do remember when it was on the main road from Kirby Moorside to Pickering, Thonton lee dale road. I also remember the Castle Howard rally's.
The recent 'Pickering' rallies should not be compared with the early rallies, the only thing they had in common was the name of the nearby town. Duncombe Park, which is still held a few miles up the road, stems from the same origins as the early rallies and is still a damn good show.

If this years Pickering rally was the last, then a move to a new site could/should mean a new, clean start for the organisers and a chance to get their act together and put on a good show.
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 19th August 2013, 11:10 AM
Oily Rag

Full Name: Anthony Waight

We've been attending this rally for many years now and 2013 was the last. Whether it goes ahead or not.
We came up from Welland to Pickering. Didn't camp on the rally field due to issues in previous years. We camped in Hinderwell and took in two days of the show. Not an absolute shambles, but getting real close. Many of the traders more than unhappy.
£10 to get in. No Programme. No cocessions for seniors. Shame the rally fell into such grubby hands. South Cerney 2014 without doubt.