Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2011, 09:45 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt Cain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Steam Jnr View Post
Yes Matt, our Devonshire "Fred"
Though so, i not really had a chance to see it properly, it looks a lovely engine, will have to have a good look at Old Warden.
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2011, 11:25 AM
Admin / Mod

Full Name: David Collidge

It's also worth noting that it was a completely new set of engines this year, no engine that was there last year was there this year and Robert Coles said the plan is to do the same again next year.

It's one of the finest events in the country, all steam powered, free, fairground, several engines which had never been to events in England before, playpen with JR on the mic, 50% of the engines working, no sunday market tat stalls, none of the usual rally field clutter + all of the other things to do in the Beaulieu. I don't understand why it isn't packed with more enthusiasts.

Shame I chose the wrong day to go and Saturday's sunshine wasn't repeated but given what was there it didn't seem to matter that much.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2011, 01:15 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Douglas Hynd

Best event I have been to with the engine for years. Great atmosphere, fantastic selection of engines, and so many owners there that I might only get to meet at Dorset.

Huge thanks to Jenny, Robert and David for the organisation and the support that us engines owners recieved.

Even if I cannot take my engine next year, pity, I will be there.

Douglas
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2011, 01:19 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Kev Mills

Gutted I couldn't make it, it looks even better than last year - the "Goodwood" of the steam world?

We would love to go with an engine, fingers crossed for next year perhaps!
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2011, 02:13 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jonathan Wheeler

[QUOTE=Ransome 21570;163186]Had a brilliant day there yesterday. Lots of people to talk to and lots of stuff to look at! I thought it was even better then last years.
Enjoy the pics
Jim

We had a delightful weekend there, many thanks to Robert, Jenny and Philip for inviting us.

Good to meet up with you Jim, thanks for introducing yourself.

The Stenner No 4 bench was impressive, cut to within a 1/16" over 23 foot! Missed that one on e bay.

Not been to Beaulieu since I was 5 years old!!

JW
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2011, 02:16 PM
Admin / Mod

Full Name: David Collidge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkright View Post
Gutted I couldn't make it, it looks even better than last year - the "Goodwood" of the steam world?
Yes, I think that is a very accurate comparison, certainly the same emphasis on quality. It took Goodwood a few years to become the massive draw that it it today so hopefully if they can keep the Beaulieu event going it will start to attract bigger crowds.
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2011, 03:57 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Nick Hirst

I missed it again this year but will try get there next year! Seems abit odd to use different engines every year (with the exception of Robert's own engines). Surely keeping a few of them returning every year (especially local engines) would keep the engine numbers up? It is quite a long way to go for many engine owners and I still think that tying it into the Old Mill Steam Road Run would be a very good idea.
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2011, 08:04 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Duncan Mortimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktrex View Post
I missed it again this year but will try get there next year! Seems abit odd to use different engines every year (with the exception of Robert's own engines).
No exception even for Robert, last year was Earl Beatty, and this year he took Quo Vadis,We Couldnt take the Foden to do water this year had to be another engine(in this years case a tractor) so we took the Thrashing gear and trailers instead.
On a personal view i think its good that averything is new each year,i get to see some new engines from up north that i may never see as most of the shows i go to are only around hants/wilts/dorset area.
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2011, 08:24 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodenwagon View Post
No exception even for Robert, last year was Earl Beatty, and this year he took Quo Vadis,We Couldnt take the Foden to do water this year had to be another engine(in this years case a tractor) so we took the Thrashing gear and trailers instead.
On a personal view i think its good that averything is new each year,i get to see some new engines from up north that i may never see as most of the shows i go to are only around hants/wilts/dorset area.
Couldn't agree more. Interesting that partly as a result of this we had a Fowler roller that had never been out of Scotland since it was delivered new, a Marshall traction engine from Ireland that had never been to an event this side of the Irish Sea, three engines that are now unique survivors of their type/make (Tasker, Savage and Gibbons and Robinson). The oldest McLaren, no 2, (from New Zealand) that appeared in Dorset last year.
Last year's event was excellent, this year perhaps, even better. I certainly had an enjoyable time at both - crewing a showman's last year, and commentating this year. Looking forward to the next one - same weekend next year, by the way.

Somerset Steam and Country Show
Low Ham, Langport, July 15th, 16th, 17th, 2016
www.somersettractionengineclub.com
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 6th June 2011, 08:36 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Tutt

Will definitely be there next year, having missed the first two. I think changing the line up each year is a great idea, but may have it's limitations in the long run. The trouble with Dorset is the same engines on the same spot year after year after year after......................