Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 02:04 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mark Gliddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
The gradual drift towards 'Country Shows' and 'Vintage Shows' I think is also an indicator that whilst steam is a draw, it is no longer sufficient to bung a load of engines in a field and expect people to pay to see them. The majority of the more successful shows offer a broad range of exhibits and entertainment, a more all round package if you will.

This I think will in time lead to reduced expenses for steam and other exhibits which will increase the private do's as you say where you spend your money and do what you want, rather than spending money getting to an event to do as you are told

This isn't to say steam is not a draw any more I just think it isn't THE draw as it once was.
In quiet a few instances your last line in spot on chap
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 02:41 PM
stefan mlynek

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post

What does the future hold?, in my opinion probably the opposite of what Stefan would hope for.
Hedd, I agree with almost every word of your post. The only thing that puzzles me is that I seem to have given the impression that I "hope for" something. What might that be? Certainly not the failure of this, or any other, steam event. I've attended each year, although on occasions it's meant me missing an event much closer to my home. Simply because I wanted to support them in their difficult times. And, if I remember rightly, at times when many of their exhibitors turned their back on the Club when they were charged a fee to appear because finances were so poor.

Stef.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 02:46 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJ2225 View Post
The problem is with lots of the country show type events now is that you sit on your peg and boil water all day and you get bollocked if you even think about moving. Whilst all this is going on there are monster trucks etc. in the main ring.... or if you are lucky enough to go to Barleylands Peppa Pig.. or some dolly bird from Frozen.... To be honest a steam up and a trundle round the local roads combined with a local smaller village fair events are much more fun.

Jim

Jim
Two of the most fun things I have done with the engine since I had it off father have been:-

Going to fetch the boiler off my Fowler from Basils and delivering an Aveling rear roll at the same time with the trailer, a 40odd mile round trip.

And pulling the hedge out of the back garden at home with the winding drum.
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 03:04 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: Pat O'Donovan

I too agree with all the above, we have to make our events attractive to the very kind steam owners who go to great expense and effort to bring their engines along to these shows/rally's ; the other factor we must take into account is the paying public. We must do all we can to attract them including parents with young children looking for somewhere to go for a day out. After all where would we be without them? All rally and show organisers cannot afford to stand still, by doing so we are in reverse. To me the country fair type of option or harvest event must have a little something for everyone. Yes it must be terrible to be standing still boiling water all day. A bit of activity for the steam engines is a must. On Sunday evening The Somerset Show put on a good demonstration of winching with two of the ploughing engines on site in the main arena with a good commentary being given. Unfortunately it can often happen that a lack of volunteer help can be in very short supply.
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 04:07 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dan Brockway

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan mlynek View Post
I think that the 'Show Reports' section of this forum should be a members honest thoughts about an event that he has attended rather than just a selection of photos. So, at the risk of upsetting another TT member, here are my thoughts.
We originally planned to go to Masham last weekend but decided, instead, to go to the Langport rally, one which we have supported for more than 10 years, during which time the rally has had some very difficult times.
To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement. The steam section was very small; in the past we have had a decent fairground with two or three significant showmans engines in attendance. This year one or two fairground rides and the only showmans was a pretend one.
Lots of classic cars and tractors and, of course, loads of trade stands. After 2 hours I phoned my wife to come and pick me up.
Of course, I should have expected this. After all, what used to be the Somerset Steam Spectacular is now the Somerset Steam and Country Show.
But please, don't think this is just me; check out the comments made by the only other TTer who has commented, International Steam.
As said, we have supported this event for more than 10 years. But in 2016, Masham here we come.
Stef.
I think you find there were 2 showmans engines there! We were on the "pretend one" as you called it and the gilby family with the gold medal showmans engine. There were 5 showmans engines booked in but only 2 could make it which isnt the organisers fault. We roaded the "pretend one" out on wednesday (9 miles) and roaded the sentinel standard out friday morning (15 miles) which to me is the best part of any rally. In my eyes a rally is what you make it.

Regards
Dan
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 04:49 PM
Engineer

Full Name: No thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan mlynek View Post
Hedd, I agree with almost every word of your post. The only thing that puzzles me is that I seem to have given the impression that I "hope for" something. What might that be? Certainly not the failure of this, or any other, steam event. I've attended each year, although on occasions it's meant me missing an event much closer to my home. Simply because I wanted to support them in their difficult times. And, if I remember rightly, at times when many of their exhibitors turned their back on the Club when they were charged a fee to appear because finances were so poor.

Stef.
i got the impression that you were hoping for more entrants and significant showmans engines.
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 05:42 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Kev Mills

But Edd's tandem was there and that's far more interesting than any significant showmans engine.

More seriously I am sure I'm not alone in noticing a lot more discontent among rallygoers (public and exhibitor) alike this year.
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd July 2015, 09:08 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mark Gliddon

The trailer rides I think were a great success, this give the public a chance to see an engine work and an "experience" of the day out plus a bonus for charity, if an event could just rope of an area around an edge of the size say to let the engines move freely all day this would stop the boiling water issue
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th August 2015, 07:16 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Steve Cockram

A bit late, but here are my photos from Langport:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...6399505&type=3