Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th June 2012, 09:05 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Bloor
Default Cheshire Show

The Cheshire show could be likened to be the Dorset of Agricultural shows. Set in acres and acres of Cheshire countryside, it boasts some of the finest food in the country and has a rich heritage of land and animal management. We arrived this morning at 08:00 and left at 18:00 and probably saw half of what was going on.

It was planned to have a number of steam traction exhibits but owing to the ground conditions, they were excluded from the show this year. It would been great to have seen a tableau of agricultural steam exhibits to complement the remainder of the show but that may be a consideration for next year?

When I saw the baking skills of the WI, I tried to join but they said that males are excluded . . . Can they do that?

The following images contain no steam engines, apart from the centre engine but if you can imagine that there is an interspersion of traction engines, then maybe the thread will be tolerated.

#2  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th June 2012, 09:36 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andrew Goddard

Looks like a great show David. How much did they have to pay though to get Tom Jones driving the tractor?
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th June 2012, 09:46 PM
Engineer

Full Name: BA

Its not unusual !
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th June 2012, 10:01 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Tony Seddon

That's not Tom Jones - it's Loppy!!!!
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 20th June 2012, 10:09 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Macdonald Smith

Hah! Tis indeed Mr BF.

I was their today. It is a great show. I bumped into Alan Thwaites who was to have been a steam exhibitor and he said they were called off a couple of days ago. I also understand an engine a couple of years ago generated a rediculous amount of smoke which caused complaint among a lot of stll holders so this may not have done man favours. I agree with David that it needs more steam. There was a wood sawing area that was crying out for an engine on a bench.

However I have been going since I was a child and steam has never featured much.

John
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st June 2012, 04:35 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bryn Mallion

John, first of all, brilliant pics (you never know who's behind you lol) with regards to steam at the show, I started the section 4 or 5 yrs ago and have been slowly building it up, yes there was a problem a couple of years ago with a Ploughing engine throwing out thick black smoke which unfortunately blew into the traders section, which resulted in several hundred pounds being paid out to stall holders, but that aside, I am hoping to add an engine every year and hope next year to get a miniature or two. To be fair it's an uphill battle as there are those who have been on the "comittee" fpr a lot longer than me and to a certain extent are not happy with steam for various reasons. Thanks again for highlighting the show I have had two brilliant days there.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st June 2012, 08:09 AM
Engineer

Full Name: John Macdonald Smith

Bryn,

Please do not think I was being critical of your efforts with the steam section. I sincerely hope that you can gradually grow the number of engines over time. Steam at an event like this which attracts such a wide cross section of people would be great publicity for the hobby and other local steam events.

John
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st June 2012, 12:54 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Bloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine John View Post
Bryn,

Please do not think I was being critical of your efforts with the steam section. I sincerely hope that you can gradually grow the number of engines over time. Steam at an event like this which attracts such a wide cross section of people would be great publicity for the hobby and other local steam events.

John
[QUOTE=contractor;215441]John, first of all, brilliant pics (you never know who's behind you lol)QUOTE]

Don't worry John, at least you got credit for the photographs
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st June 2012, 08:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bryn Mallion

Sorry David, think I am losing the plot? and perhaps John you may think about coming as an exhibitor, next year, we will work on it
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st June 2012, 09:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Mark Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
Its not unusual !
Only BA would come up with that response, and Tony's right it is loppy