Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > For-Sale Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

For-Sale Adverts Steam items and equipment For Sale.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 25th November 2007, 03:32 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Simon Tansley
Default Book for the Serious Historian - or Steam Haulage Fan!

I have for sale an original copy of the 1915 - 1918 'Road Locomotives & Heavy Motor Cars Departmental Committee Reports, Evidence and Minutes' - Published by the L.C.C Parlimentary Department.

It is a heavy bound book of roughly A4 size and 388 pages. The purpose of the report was (according to the frontpiece) 'to consider the law and regulations relating to the Construction and Use of Road Locomotives and Heavy Motor Cars in Great Britain' - and was published in 1918. Copies of the relevant parts of the Locomotive Acts of 1861, 1865, 1878, 1898 and the Motor Car Acts of 1903 and 1904 are also included.

Of interest to many I'd have thought, is a transcription of when, on Tuesday 23rd November 1915 - Mr Norman E. Box was called in as a witness to the proceedings. The interview with him is fascanating, and goes into a lot of detail of his day to day work from his view-point.

Also documented in similar style is an interview with Mr. J. Allen (Oxford Steam Plough Company and at the time, Chairman of the National Traction Engine Owners and Users Association).

Other notable witnesses include B. J. Diplock, Robert Drummond, Sir Thomas Munro and many more.

Should be in the hands of a serious traction engine historian really, and not gathering dust on my shelf - so sensible offers please to simontansley@hotmail.com - or phone (0116) 2926706.