Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Show Reports
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 10:41 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Kev Mills
Default Clayton

Great to see "the Bridgnorth Clayton", extracted during the week previous to the rally by a team of T.W.A.T.S and a little brown engine with no roof. A very nice engine I would have loved to take home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3168.jpg (278.6 KB, 88 views)
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 10:46 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

I understand that the playpen will be back in a sensible position again next year . A lot of fresh thinking and some investment needs to be put into the entry , pay and exit arrangements . In other countries there would have been a riot . But apart from that a magnificent show .

£1 concession is a poor sort of joke .
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 11:38 AM
Engineer

Full Name: michael lewendon

I went on Sunday and enjoyed the rally. A little spoilt by the over officious marshals in yellow jackets.
I live next to a road that you can legally do 60 mph on that I can walk within 6" of the traffic if I choose. But at the rally I was waved out of the way 3' away from a car moving from the arena that was stuck in traffic. Please can we have some sensible movement without the hi vis.
Mike
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 11:39 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson

One of the better kept secrets - well actually it was on their website which obviously no-one reads as generally it's crap like all the others - was the availability of tickets in advance online. I bought ours on Saturday morning and was purchaser #90. The result was instant admission on our arrival on site at 09.30 on Sunday. I guess people paying on the day at the time must have had to wait more than an hour. As what sun there was vanished by 11.00, it would have spoiled my day,

Of course, if everybody bought in advance, the entrance gate would be overwhelmed.

Last year was my first year and it was not quite as bad, fortunately my brain is not as old as my body and I worked out how to get in and out with minimal hassle.

At the time I pointed out that it was a total shambles compared to the rest of the show and i was told that the traffic queues outside were none of their business and there was nothing that could be done about the queues to pay. This is rubbish, whoever is in charge of entry and exit should be voluntarily retired, some fresh thinking is badly needed.
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 01:04 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Matt S

Quote:
Originally Posted by International Steam View Post
At the time I pointed out that it was a total shambles compared to the rest of the show and i was told that the traffic queues outside were none of their business and there was nothing that could be done about the queues to pay. This is rubbish, whoever is in charge of entry and exit should be voluntarily retired, some fresh thinking is badly needed.
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 01:11 PM
Engineer

Full Name: C. J. Arrowsmith

I really enjoyed it......

Thank you very much for having me, it is a superb rally from my perspective.
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 02:14 PM
Engineer

Full Name: chris f

a good video here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IilAKW6izJA
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 03:05 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: martin pimlott
Default queues

i visit this rally every year the problem with the queues on the A5 leading to the A458 are mainly due to some peoples inability to read simple road signs that are put up to make traffic flow easier and people trying to access through the wrong gate,on the way out there are segregation lanes too allow two lanes of traffic,left hand lane for traffic turning left and right for turning right but when i come to leave everyone was in one lane thus causing queues on the rally field,plus some people didnt seem to even notice that the traffic on exit were under traffic lights thus stopping and adding to the queues.frustrating when the organisers do there best and some cant follow what they do.
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 03:07 PM
Engineer

Full Name: David Bosworth

Some of my photos

#20  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th August 2014, 03:56 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Rob Dickinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin606 View Post
i visit this rally every year the problem with the queues on the A5 leading to the A458 are mainly due to some peoples inability to read simple road signs that are put up to make traffic flow easier and people trying to access through the wrong gate,on the way out there are segregation lanes too allow two lanes of traffic,left hand lane for traffic turning left and right for turning right but when i come to leave everyone was in one lane thus causing queues on the rally field,plus some people didnt seem to even notice that the traffic on exit were under traffic lights thus stopping and adding to the queues.frustrating when the organisers do there best and some cant follow what they do.
You and the organisers are not living in the real world. Only when you get to the short two lane section by the exit is the system apparent, not everyone goes every year and knows of this or the traffic lights. Meanwhile back up the hill left and right turners are mixed up completely. And I would say that 90% of those exiting are turning right. anyway

Why not a little pro-active information supply via a note in the programme or simply a small leaflet handed to each arrival? If that costs too much time and money then there's a page on the (generally useless) website called 'How to Find the Rally'. It would take 10 minutes at most and cost nothing to include prominently a notice on 'How to Leave the Rally'.

I make a point of coming and going using the Welshpool side although it involves a significant diversion. I am sure other regulars have worked this out too but it's unrealistic to expect casual visitors to do the same and if many more people did this then there would be chaos in the surrounding lanes.

As for entry, a complete rethink of the site is needed, the entry point has to be moved nearer the by-pass and more entry lanes put in place.