Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Show Reports Reports and pictures from recent Steam events

#21  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd January 2014, 06:29 PM
Banned

Full Name: Tom Bowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride of Somerset View Post
This really is the most ridiculous comment I have seen on TT - Presumably Ivybridge's local council would happily accept redevelopment of 600 acres of prime farmland near their town. You are very welcome to the vast number of houses we are getting here in Taunton. Seriously - this is classic attention seeking....
600 acres of prime farmland would allow a developer to build in round figures 9,700 houses so you can see how much profit they would make on such a venture. Another problem with developers is that they rarely use local labour as they bring their own workforce with them.

With money being in short supply owing to the problems with our banking system, I often wonder who will buy all these "new houses" should they ever be built. This is a question which I raise on a regular basis and so far no one has given me a satisfactory answer. Nobody can even tell me a specific price range for affordable housing as this appears to vary from area to area.

Where do you go from here?
  #22  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd January 2014, 06:59 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Kev Mills

From here? Hopefully back to talking about traction engines
  #23  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd January 2014, 07:14 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Reeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttp2011 View Post
600 acres of prime farmland would allow a developer to build in round figures 9,700 houses so you can see how much profit they would make on such a venture. Another problem with developers is that they rarely use local labour as they bring their own workforce with them.

With money being in short supply owing to the problems with our banking system, I often wonder who will buy all these "new houses" should they ever be built. This is a question which I raise on a regular basis and so far no one has given me a satisfactory answer. Nobody can even tell me a specific price range for affordable housing as this appears to vary from area to area.

Where do you go from here?
Tom, having spent 16 years as a councillor, much of it as chairman, dealing with a 5000 dwelling development I am well aware of how developers work and don't need be told. As has been said, let's get back to what Dorset is all about - I repeat, your original statement was ridiculous. The site is farm land and a major part of the contract with the owners is that it should be returned to the state in which it was found - by GDSF. Setting up, the show itself, pulling down and restoring the land all has to be done within 28 days. Housing and development has nothing to do with this thread. Stop hijacking it (again) to put you own political views....

Somerset Steam and Country Show
Low Ham, Langport, July 15th, 16th, 17th, 2016
www.somersettractionengineclub.com
  #24  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd January 2014, 09:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pride of Somerset View Post
The site is farm land and a major part of the contract with the owners is that it should be returned to the state in which it was found - by GDSF. Setting up, the show itself, pulling down and restoring the land all has to be done within 28 days.
I hope I am safe raising this, not really to do with engines, but it is to do with Dorset... lol

I just thought, The fields at Dorset are stubble for quite a lot of it, I wonder if the compaction of the ground causes the farm any issues? That said the use of the land and rent probably far outweighs the drop in productivity due to Ground Compaction.

No need to go min/no till on that farm. :-)

Cheers

Dave
  #25  Post / In Thread 
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:04 PM
Engineer

Full Name: John Reeves

Interesting thought that, Dave. I don't know the answer, but I have a meeting down at the GDSF office on Monday.......

Somerset Steam and Country Show
Low Ham, Langport, July 15th, 16th, 17th, 2016
www.somersettractionengineclub.com
  #26  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:42 AM
Banned

By the time of the summer when GDSF takes place, by the normal turn of events the ground should normally be quite hard after a long hot summer. In that respect I don't think that by having the engines on the land that it would cause a problem.
  #27  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd January 2014, 12:44 AM
Banned

A change of tack about GDSF.

What do people think will be in attendance this year? will it be a themed year again? what new engines should be at GDSF and which ones will be making their first appearances after a lengthly period of restoration?
  #28  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd January 2014, 07:37 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttp2011 View Post
By the time of the summer when GDSF takes place, by the normal turn of events the ground should normally be quite hard after a long hot summer. In that respect I don't think that by having the engines on the land that it would cause a problem.
Your not quite right on that one Tom, Engines leave marks in hard tarmac at times, and I some farmers take great care to keep the growing structure right. I do wonder being chalk if it is not as important, but it must have some effect.

I would be Interested to know the gen John.

Cheers

Dave
  #29  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:44 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Nick Hirst

I thought this forum was for 'Show Reports' and as such surely this would be simply photo's of events and discussions surrounding the photo's / the event.

Not stupid irrelevant comments posted for ones humour.

JR summed it up perfectly - attention seeking.

Back onto the subject of Dorset, fantastic photo's David as always, was a pleasure to finally meet you (I do apologize for being rather blunt at first, the book you showed me was very interesting.)

With regards Dave's comments, I think you hit the nail on the head there - 'That said the use of the land and rent probably far outweighs the drop in productivity due to Ground Compaction.' I have been told (from an unknown source) that even if the crops are not ready for harvest the farmer will still ensure the fields are ready in time.
  #30  Post / In Thread 
Old 23rd January 2014, 09:49 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Jim Wilkinson

Do you mean the playpen ,showmans area? I have thought that too , but isnt the ground ploughed up each year?