Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Steam Rallies > Steam Events
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums

Steam Events Let others know about events in your area.

#11  Post / In Thread 
Old 9th July 2010, 10:29 PM
Engineer

Full Name: ross anderson

Find the rally now far too strict.Security is good but there are what i call "little Hitlers" that power gets to their heads.Had argument there several years ago about passes and was told to move as we had not put the caravan in the correct place after moving twice.Shame it is a good rally that Audry and Ray Frampton has built up with help from Brian Tullett in the early days.You get new comitee members who think they know best.Take a good good look at your past before jumping in blind to your future.
  #12  Post / In Thread 
Old 10th July 2010, 06:34 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Mr Steamy One.

I remember a few Years someone on here was turned away with their Exhibit because they turned up a few minutes late.
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2010, 07:11 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Richard Gregory

i hope it all gets sorted out id like to go again next year and take an engine down it was worth the 440 mile round trip great bear tent good allround show
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 11th July 2010, 08:45 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Roger Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Engineer View Post
Apparently there is going to be a questionaire for the exhibitors this year over the changes they are proposing.

It's a great rally but has always been blighted by the jobsworths and back biting, I just hope they sort it out. It will be a real shame if we loose it.
There was and it was quite a talking point as you can imagine. But it was what was being said by paying punters that they should really be listening to...

That being said sitting outside the beer tent watching Starlight and No 1 wired to Harris' machines with the sun beating down is a very pleasant experience
  #15  Post / In Thread 
Old 12th July 2010, 10:24 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Peter Evans

We had the questionniare. Options included (from memory) £10 to camp, £3 per exhibit fee, £6 booking fee, £5 programme and plaque fee. Show cost £80,000 to stage last year and profit was £7,000. Didn't stop them booking the flypast which cost thousands and despite hearing the Merlin engined Spitfire overhead is not a core attraction and whilst being the biggest exhibit expense probably didn't get a single new punter through the gate. Why cannot the numbskulls running this show realise this as areo fans will have gone to Biggin Hill a couple of weeks before or just sat outside the gate and watched for free????

Every single person I spoke to said they were not coming if they are charged. 7 marshalls have resigned already. We met the hag on the gate on the Thursday who demanded we have a green wristband and not an orange one. Seeing as they only posted orange ones that caused a sticking point. After much huffing and puffing we were allowed in. The actual show was as usual fabulous with Alan & Mandy Latham (who have both quit unfortunately and will be a great loss) the steam marshalls doing a great job and welcoming everyone in and making sure everyone was settled.

We need to save this great event. Charging the exhibitors isn't the way
  #16  Post / In Thread 
Old 8th September 2010, 12:08 PM
Engineer

Full Name: colin harrison

We've been for the last 20 years, and this was the first year we missed. The haul round the M25 from Cambs was becoming a real pain (this year there were 65 mile queues !).

But the jumble was always good, and as Earl Kit. said, sitting outside the beer tent in the dusk with the steamers running the lights and fair is just magical.

As a camper I've noticed over the years how more and more people turn up without an exhibit and camp for the whole weekend - for nowt ! Its them that should be charged - which is what happens at several other rallies I go to.
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th January 2011, 07:53 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Graham Avery

Looks like theres been an about turn by the organisers.

Theres an advert in OG that mentions no charge for camping this year.

Well done for listening and here's hoping the show is a good one.
  #18  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th January 2011, 08:37 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Wizz Stearne

Thanks for letting me know that Graham. I'm going to exhibit there for the first time this year an reading all the above I was about to change my mind.
I'm really looking forward to it, havent been in a few years. Hope its still got that nice fun relaxed atmosphere. Last time I was there miniatures had free roaming, is that still true?
Hope to see you there
x
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th January 2011, 09:04 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Stuart Makemson
Default Ardingly

I don't have OG to hand, what are the dates for this year?

SAM
Ryde
IOW
  #20  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th January 2011, 09:38 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Wizz Stearne

9th + 10th July