Traction-Talk  

Go Back   Traction-Talk > Advertisements > Wanted Adverts
Register Donate Events Calendar Picture Albums Mark Forums Read

Wanted Adverts Steam items and equipment Wanted.

#1  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th July 2018, 12:47 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andrew Hudson
Default Large diameter flywheel requires machining

Hi
Does anyone know where I can get a flywheel casting turned somewhere reasonably close to Launceston on the Devon Cornwall border. The flywheel is 26in outside diameter so it needs to be held on a 2ft chuck. It is too large for my lathe and I have tried everyone I know near me and the swing does not seem to be a problem it is the chuck size.
The flywheel has spokes and is for a 6in Burrell from Little Samson. There is no rush at all.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Andy
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th July 2018, 03:37 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

Providing the lathe will swing the flywheel in the gap , then it can be mounted on a faceplate .
  #3  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th July 2018, 04:36 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Jon Ballard

Sam Henwood?
  #4  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th July 2018, 05:24 PM
Engineer

Full Name: david swaffield

Pm sent Andy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  #5  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th July 2018, 05:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Chris Smith

Should fit on a 36" Webster and Bennet borer - try your local machine shops, it doesn't have to go in a lathe.
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th July 2018, 06:29 PM
Apprentice

Full Name: William Strong

turned 6" samson flywheel on faceplate on harrison 300 lathe no problems with gap removed.
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th July 2018, 07:22 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Dan Solheim

You could try rolatec in Bude on the kings hill industrial estate, Mike is really helpful if he can’t do it he will probably know some one who can
  #8  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th July 2018, 07:36 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andrew Hudson

Hi
Thanks for the comments
It will just fit on my Colchester 2000 with the gap removed when bolted on a faceplate but even with the cross slide right back, the compound angled back and extended and using the back of the tool post I cannot get the tool to bear enough. Especially as I need to crown the outside rim so a belt stays on. Also there is a fair bit of metal to remove.
The engineering places I have tried have these fancy computer controlled machines which do not take very big stuff.
They look at me with a blank face when I ask them if they have a big centre lathe.

Andy
  #9  Post / In Thread 
Old 25th July 2018, 08:09 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Paul Kemp

Andy,

I had the same trouble getting the tool to bear on some of the large diameter bits for my 6" LS so I had to scheme up an "extension" tool holder. You can see it towards the bottom of this page (if the link works right!).

http://www.tractiontalkforum.com/sho...t=39516&page=8

You mention you have tried using the back of the tool post so I assume something like this still won't help! However you could make a cranked variation of it perhaps that can go in the tool post at 90 degrees to the bed and then turn 90 degrees towards the headstock, each leg would need to be sized for the depth / diameter. Maybe not a good way to explain it but I don't have any means of doing fancy computer drawings and inserting here!

As you can get it in the gap on the faceplate On your machine I would think it worth persevering with a creative tool holder to get the tool where you need it if there is no where else you can either 'borrow' a machine for a few hours or find someone to do it for you reasonably easily. Having made up something to extend the capacity at least you have it and if any other large diameter bits come up you may find it useful for them as well. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, even a welded fabrication from some thick plate will probably do the job. Just make it as heavy / rigid as you practically can.

As an aside I used this same bar to do the OD of the LS flywheel too, I think there is a picture later in the thread.

Paul.

Last edited by Paul30013; 25th July 2018 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: Added comment re flywheel.
  #10  Post / In Thread 
Old 25th July 2018, 11:26 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Mark Baldry

Andy,
Would a left handed boring bar in the back of the toolpost give you the reach you require? It is a similar idea to Paul's. I used this idea when machining the rear wheels for a 3 inch Foden on a Boxford lathe.

Baldric.