View Single Post
  #2  Post / In Thread 
Old 31st July 2018, 09:01 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Bob Allison

Leengate ones are of disappointing quality . I used one as a spare steam connection on my cylinder top plate , for hydraulics and such , but had to do some refinishing before I was happy with it .

If the thread has stripped on the bottom of your steam cock . then you could machine away the stub , and drill and tap for a stainless bolt , which with a nut and washer should work well enough for the time being . Leave the hex or socket on it in case you need to tighten or remove it . Or else replace with a modern valve , which will work better anyway . Most engines have had globe valves fitted by now , but a modern ball valve will work best of all , like an on/off switch . Use a machine wire brush to remove the plating , and make up a suitably period handle for it . Look up the BOSS catalogue on line , they are cheap as chips , but make sure they are suitable for the temperature and pressure .

Needless to say , I am being taken to task on another thread , by one of the usual suspects , on this very matter