View Single Post
  #34  Post / In Thread 
Old 24th October 2010, 09:13 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Andrew Bradbury

Admiral Togo was seen as a hero by the Britsh press/public for defeating the Russians because the Russian fleet on their outward voyage had attacked some english fishing trawlers (claiming they were Japanese torpedo boats) I think 2 were sunk. The Britsh fleet were sent to intervene and chased the Russian fleet into port only major diplomatic work prevented it becoming a serious diplomatic incident. From the accounts of the day the Russian gunnery must have been truly piss poor as several thousand shells were "aimed" at the fishing fleet but fortunately very few found their mark.

The name is reputed to have been removed on Isaacs instructions after Pearl Harbour and the start of Japanese attacks on British interests in the far east.

There is a picture of her in the Lancashire edition of Steaming (Feb 76) being retubed in April 1958.

Not long after that Raymond Rawcliffe bought her from Balls but then sold her to the club. The first NSCTEC rally she attended was Alton Towers in 61.

Now the big question for me is did she have a name plate like on C.R Dewet (circular on the tool box) or a burrell style one below the cylinder block on the flywheel side?. I think it could well be the later as when she was at Alton towers in 61 she had a fleet number plate and it was not on the flywheel side as all the photos I have seen of her at that time are of course from that side.

Last edited by Rosbotham; 24th October 2010 at 09:37 PM.. Reason: Found the programme