Thread: low loader
View Single Post
  #13  Post / In Thread 
Old 25th September 2016, 08:40 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Dave Walker

I share similar memories of struggling and swearing with four in line or knock out rear end low loaders. That's said the Scammell low loaders do look great behind a classic unit and we enjoyed using it most of the time. It was cheap too. Cheaper than a sexy step frame low loader at least.

There are some pit falls though. The four in line trailers wont fit in modern roller brake testers so you have to drop one side in at a time. You need a very understanding test centre in other words unless you try to go down the "special types" route which I don't think you can as a private user.

Don't also fall in the trap of assuming you can claim exemption from test by age. As soon as you put a load on it it needs testing.

If you are traveling down through Sheffield, the Meadowhall junction on the M1, drop into see Peter Harrison, he has loads of Scammell low loaders. He isn't easy to get hold of, the number of S Harrison and Sons is on the net, its worth a go but you are better off just chancing meeting up with him. Don't make a special trip in case he isn't about. He is profoundly deaf so conversations can be difficult. His way of doing business is that's the price, if you don't like it he is quite happy for it to stay where it is.

We had a Tasker little giant, it was a great trailer. A small advert in one of the classic lorry mags should trawl up a reasonable one is my guess.