View Single Post
  #33  Post / In Thread 
Old 1st September 2014, 07:34 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Sam Brandist

I think this is a very interesting debate. The natural progression of things is of course that, without the money gained from the public returning year on year, then there won't be the funds to do the job again. This is unfortunately, from people I know who've had experiences, the odd thing about certain rallies these days. The money is wanted more than the enjoyment factor. I find it odd when I read these things about rallies expecting owners to be pleased to be invited, almost in the regard of 'allowing an engine to exhibit'. It has always been my feeling, wether my event is a miniature engine event or not, that every exhibit should be appreciated no matter what it is, as everything has its place. Every single exhibit that attends our small gathering, wether 1.5", 6", full size whatever is appreciated and gratefully received in the same way - as it should be. No event can operate without the full co-operation of the exhibitors and, as many have rightly pointed out above, the exhibitors are doing it as part of their hobby, in their spare time, using their money, fuel etc to attend and therefore we should be making them feel as appreciated and as welcome as possible. This is one thing I have always tried to do with every potential exhibitor of the MTEW event at Market Bosworth. I've exhibited at some places in the past myself and you never forget a bad experience and this will undoubtedly be the end of rallies in the future if the enjoyment factor of the hobby continues to be quashed by amassing greater funds and tightening up on H & S to the point of the insane. Don't get me wrong, the events need to make money otherwise you can't sustain the event or indeed improve by getting more bits in or advertising each year, but you should do your best if you can to not bite off the hand that feeds you and upset those that make the event possible...the exhibitors.