View Single Post
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th May 2016, 06:08 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Naomi Cornish

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew hawkswell View Post
Naomi - you need to say what rpm you want - 1450 ish or 2900 ish (4 pole or 2 pole motor respectively) - my guess is it will be a 4 pole - I would advise you to get a good brand name second hand British one off e bay rather than a modern one from the far east. The British ones will be well made and stand a bit of abuse. If your lathe doesn't have a clutch you will be stopping, starting and reversing the motor quite frequently which single phase motors are less tolerant of than 3 phase motors, so you need something that will cope with a bit more than steady running.
I agree that I'd rather have something British and robust.... The lathe is a Harrison, and has a clutch.
I'm after 1420rpm(ish) 4 pole.
Brook-Crompton have the 'Capacitor start capacitor run' version No. 2-TDA 90 LT 4-pole, with foot mounting, which would be ideal....... their website typically doesn't list prices, but if the Clarke motor is £132, then we could probably guess the B-C price.

I have checked eBay but nothing on there as yet..... will keep hunting around.... and if anyone has one, then please let me know
general.secretary@ntet.co.uk