View Single Post
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 26th November 2009, 07:22 PM
Oily Rag

Full Name: Terry Pinnegar
Default Beamish Museum acquires a set of Steam Gallopers

How's that for a coincidence!

Less than a week after I posted an item mourning the loss of the gallopers at Beamish Museum I discover that they have this week purchased a new set.

Beamish has purchased the 1893-built Savage 3-abreast steam roundabout from the Ayers family. This is the famous Sally Beach set and is in remarkably original condition. The museum has been told it is probably one of the best sets in the UK in terms of this, and is complete with centre and organ engine (though both require work before the ride can be operated under steam - it is currently electrically powered). It is still fitted with the original (as far as can be ascertained) 87 key Gavioli organ, which is also in need of attention.

It is planned to have the gallopers up and running from Saturday 28 November at the Pockerley area of the museum, and they will be in action every weekend through to Christmas when they will be dismantled in order to overhaul the centre engine. Once this work is complete it will be re-erected on a new fairground site adjacent to the museum town area.

My apologies to Paul Jarman, Curator of Transport at the museum, for lifting most of this information from his blog.