View Single Post
  #19  Post / In Thread 
Old 30th August 2014, 12:37 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Thomas Bowden

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1882 View Post
Charity starts at home
You have raised some interesting points here. I have been on both sides of the fence in as much as I am a regular attender of rallies in Devon and Cornwall where I live. I was on the organising committee of a local rally for two years until other commitments forced me to step down.

From the visitor point of view, I like to see a variety of exhibits. From the organisers point of view why cant we have exhibitors who may have half a dozen rusty bikes, oil cans, tractor seats etc as long as the exhibitor makes his display interesting through variety, rarity etc of his exhibits? Exhibitors of rusty bikes etc may only have the opportunity to show off their collection at local rallies and they can generate a lot of goodwill in as much as they will tell their neighbours and friends that they will be exhibiting at such and such rally. The exhibitor generates goodwill in as much as they are giving free publicity to the rally concerned. What I do object to, are the owners of say a classic coach who wish to exhibit their vehicle and who get a free rally pass, fill their vehicle with their friends who then get into the rally free of charge. Perhaps rally organisers should insist that an exhibitor only gets free admission for his exhibit plus two people and any extra people have to pay the normal admission price.

Another problem for exhibitors is the attitude of some rally organisers. I know the owner of a 1907 Stanley Steam Car and he was telling me that owners of steam engines receive a free allocation of coal at most rallies yet, because his steam car is powered by petrol he receives nothing. What makes matters even worse, is that he raises money for local charities at most events and he does not receive any financial contribution for attending rallies.

Finally, I agree that greed has taken over in as much as money to some organisers is more important than providing a good day out for the public at a price which they can afford.