View Single Post
  #28  Post / In Thread 
Old 21st August 2013, 08:38 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Mike Thomas

For me the number of full size engines present was pretty good, especially given the financial position we're all in these days!

The bigger issue is the direction the society is taking the rally. We are losing the very thing we want to see - steam engines doing what they do best. Although some engines were moving around the Stithians site it was a nightmare for their crews. Everything is so cramped and congested. The working area was small and limited in what could be demonstrated.

I feel the scope of the rally had changed for the worse. We've lost context with too many unrelated activities. For example a large area of the site dedicated to 4 x 4 displays and a large area for a motorbike display team. What have these to do with a vintage rally?
Similarly I feel there are too many commercial vehicles, cars and tractors for what should primarily be a steam rally. All are beautifully restored and a credit to their owners but they are out of context - many very few years old and certainly not from the era and age of steam.
Heavy horses and rural craft displays are great because they are contemporary with the steam age.

The fair too missed the point. At a vintage rally this should have rides from that bygone age, not modern rides!

I think a return to basics is what's needed no matter where the rally is held.

Lastly, what about a site owned by the society? I throw this into the ring without any idea of all the implications of such an idea - I freely admit that :-)
Such a site could be developed and landscaped using the very machines so many members own. Possibly the land could then also be used for other events throughout the year.
Probably a crazy idea but then there are lots of us crazy folk out there.

Mike

Sent from my PIPO Max M1 using Tapatalk4