View Single Post
  #17  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th June 2017, 12:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Michael James

Phil - thanks for posting the pictures; the Henton's yard must have been somewhere special to visit back then.

I have always had a soft spot for The Dalesman, it is a wonderful looking engine. It looks good from every angle and is so well proportioned – the scope to feature it in drawings has been many and varied; as a road loco on haulage or with a threshing machine.

Below is a pencil drawing that I actually started many years ago and re-worked more recently – to see if it could work as a bigger and more involved drawing. The subject is indeed The Dalesman and after reading the post from Hedd, it is more correct than I thought - I assume it was used for threshing.

The picture would need more figures in it to truthfully represent a threshing machine at work and a few hens would also bring it to life. I do not know if I will pursue it as an idea as I have some good references of a Fowler agricultural with a threshing drum. An agricultural engine is more appropriate and if I am not careful all of these drawings are going to be of road locomotives.

I have a rough drawing which has a couple of engines winching a bridge girder in to place. This rough also has The Dalesman in it as one of the engines. It is an idea I very much want to develop but it would be another extremely difficult picture to pull off.

The drawing I have posted here is on a size A4 piece of paper which is why it is of a much freer style when compared to my drawing of the Duke of York. My drawing of the big Fowler is on size A1 card. Creating my artwork in different sizes is a way to ensure there is some level of variation within my style of working.

I hope members of T-T enjoy my drawing of “The Dalesman”.

Michael