View Single Post
  #14  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th May 2016, 12:18 PM
Engineer

Full Name: Philip Procter

You will find that the original motor is a two speed one and that will possibly cause problems when trying to run from an inverter.
Also you would need to make sure that any motor you choose can be connected in Delta, ie the windings form a triangle and each phase of the inverter is connected to a corner of the triangle.
Some motors are only connected in Star, ie the windings have one common centre connection, this is OK when used on a normal 3 phase supply at 415V, but for inverter use it needs to be Delta when driven from a household 240V supply.

Don't be put off by all this, most motors can be used but it is just something to be aware of
The inverter link I sent on ebay was just a random example, I agree with the comments about buying from a reputable source.

A converter will give you an artificial 3 phase supply, but they will not give any speed control so have only a limited use and tend to be fairly expensive.
An inverter gives an artificial 3 phase supply, but it's frequency can be adjusted to give a good range of variable speed.
At work we tend to work on approx half or double the rated speed of the motor, if you go too slow the motor fan will not push enough cooling air through, too fast and you can exceed the speed that the bearings are happy at

I only have one machine in my workshop (pillar drill) that is not on an inverter, but I have the parts ready to convert it very soon.

My dad used to run his three phase machines using the capacitor method, but this was long before inverters became affordable.

Phil