View Single Post
  #6  Post / In Thread 
Old 16th April 2018, 03:41 AM
Engineer

Full Name: Robert David Powell
Default Just a little comment.

I bought the Wallis and Steevens 1 1/2" showman/s engine as a project from Station Road steam. The engine arrived safe and sound, properly packed. Although described as a project it was on receipt seen to be almost a runner . To the horror of my partner Judy I took a few days off from " The Sympathetic Restoration" and set to on the Wallis, a few new gaskets,cutting a clearance so that the reverser can go to full forward, a replacement pipe from pump to check valve, and a few runs on compressed air with lots of thin oil( to ungum the motions) on everything are all I have done so far. I need to key a driving plate to the rear axle , otherwise she is ready for an hydraulic test and trial steam up once weather gets better here.Obviously projects can vary immensely and could be a trap for the inexperienced. I firmly stand by my previous suggestions that beginners should actually build a model such as a Stuart 10 and a boiler to suit. Once they have achieved that then more advanced adventures are likely to be successful. I have no business connection with Station Road steam other than being a very satisfied customer. Regards David Powell.