Thread: Onslow
View Single Post
  #46  Post / In Thread 
Old 27th August 2014, 08:41 AM
Apprentice

Full Name: Nick Berry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mine Explorer View Post
I'm not totally clear why the steam engines would need to be located near the working field? That's predominently for infernal confusion engine tractors.

The ploughers (who live exclusively in the working field) are always over there, as are the couple that work in wood sawing/threshing/crushing arenas. The commercials are near the working field on the bit of site leading up to it - but then that's also sloping ground so unlikely to be welcomed by the steam owners. It would also mean an uphill climb for all the steamers to reach the arena for the parade, not a sensible situation if it can be avoided. The original location for the arena was a little further over until one year when it hissed with rain at just after 2pm... unfortunately in that location all exits from the arena were uphill: The majority of the engines were stuck in the arena unable to get out.
Having driven a roller at Onslow I appreciate the situation with the lie of the land. I just feel it is a bit of an odd situation having the working demonstrations (steam threshing, stone crushing, sawing etc) up one end of the field and the play pen (well this year it was more threshing) up the other end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mine Explorer View Post

If the exhibitor camping area and public camping area were to be displaced to be taken up by exhibits and fill the triangle between the two sites, then where would the camping go? There are only just so many fields available for the rally to use (and abuse).
I know it is hard to please everyone, I appreciate space is finite and at no point was I suggesting 'displacing' people to make room for steam. But perhaps a rejig might be in order?