View Single Post
  #7  Post / In Thread 
Old 14th July 2011, 03:26 PM
Engineer

Full Name: stephen bullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8_10 Brass Cleaner View Post
This type of nipple has not been in common use since before the 2nd world war. They are commonly fitted to commercial vehicles up to the late 1920's, but seemingly not after.

We had two very tired ones surviving on our trailer, and managed to source the promise of another 2 or 3 via our contacts in the steam and veteran lorry worlds.

Given we were still 10 or so short, and didn't have a grease gun we decided to go the more modern route.

I've never had one in bits, but I'm not convinced that there is a non return in them, if so thay are not as good as the later types.

Can anyone confirm? Perhaps the Highwayman, I expect you have them on your Standard?
Just spotted this, and can confirm that there is a non return valve, it's a simple ball and spring mounted in a 3/8" diameter tube with a 'semi closed end' ie a small hole in the end, this sits in a hole in the large threaded end of the nipple and is retained by the ends of the hole being crimped in, it's easier to see than to describe, and naturally the valves tend to leak by.